Sign in to follow this  
rgerbitz

braiding, lacing, plaiting a nose button

I have just recently found this site and I couldn't be more excited. When my wife came in yesterday I exclaimed "Honey I have found my people". She smiled and said "well ... that's great dear".

Anyways 2 days ago I cut off my third attempt to put a nose button on a bosal I'm trying to make. I have been using a 6 plait over/under down then turning both ends back and, the plan was, to bury the ends in the middle. In the first attempt I cut all the string about 3 inches to short :head_hurts_kr: .(lesson learned) The next two attempts would start to twist as a back braided. Is there a better way to go about braiding, lacing, plaiting a nose button than what I have been attempting or am I simply overlooking something.

I really was hoping to finish this project up for christmas it is a 3/8 bosal and my friend will be using it on his first horse that he will have rode all the way into the two rein rig.

Thank you all for being here and exchanging thoughts and ideas.

[size=1][color=#0000ff]Whether you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right[/color][/size].

rgerbitz

I think I would use a multi string knot. Bruce Grants book Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leatherbraiding and How to Make Cowboy Horse Gear show how to make this knot with a herringbone or gaucho interweave. If ya don't already have either of these books books. It would be well worth getting one of them. If ya get Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding it has all the material that the other book has. I think I paid 20-30 dollars for mine on Amazon. Post Pictures when done!! Good Luck Mike

(ETA: I think the way you are doing it, with 6-strand braid, is a good way to start. It wasn't clear when I posted.) I think that is a good way but of course the same thing can be accomplished several different ways. You could try to just practice on something (like a piece of broomstick) and make your knot a little shorter - those short strings could be used - and see if it still twists. Are you pulling one part tighter? Maybe that is making it twist.

You could also just spiral the strings, turn them and make the O1 U1 start of the knot, creating the knot more from the start, than what you are doing. When I do that I tie it down on both ends, and then start my O1 U1. Once I have it started I take off the ties. (However please note, I usually work in horsehair which is a more tricky substance than leather or rawhide, so you might not need to do that.)

Another way is to just use one really LONG freaking string, and tie the whole thing out of one string. I've done it that way too, but prefer the way you are doing it.

Doing it a different way, you might find a way that works better for you, or is easier for you. It's also good practice.

I think it just takes practice, practice, practice. Just go slow, remember to breathe, and keep at it.

Welcome rgerbitz!

I vote for using a spiral technique. One of the things that I learned the hard way about rawhide is that twisting occurs more often when the strings have too much moisture in them. Oh and Practice, write down your results and practice some more.

Heather

Rgerbitz, it is good that you are conscientious enough to tear it up and start over but don't get caught up in 'analysis paralysis' Rawhide can't be re braided and it is a lot to throw away! You can try the spiral technique although I have not really had much luck with it others have and they turn out some really nice gear. I have also had the same issue that you are having and I have seen work out there by others that spiraled too so we are not alone. One thing you can try is to turn all your ends at once. Lets say you do six strands over one, under one all the way down. Make sure you start with a marked core so you have a reference to line everything up by. Make sure you have 1/3 of the string on one side and 2/3 of the string on the other before you start to braid. After you've done the six strand braid you have twelve strands at the other end because you are using both ends of the string. You start back up with six of those strings (the long ones). If you started with and over you end with and under and turn your turn back. Only, go maybe three moves with each string and get them all turned. Now look and see if everything is still lined up straight! If not make adjustments NOW! Even if you have to try and twist the whole kit and kaboodle a quarter turn opposite the twist so that as you tighten it straightens things back up. And Voila! C'est Manifique! Or Errr something like that!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

We feel it in the One Drop. And we still find time to rap!
Bob Marley - One Drop