Sign in to follow this  
Janice

My First Toilet Seat

Hi all,

I made my first toilet seat top.

I am now wanting to attach it to the actual seat, and was wondering if anyone had some tips or "must know" remarks for me before I attempt it.

I was thinking I would use a good glue first, and then upolstery tacks, the kind with the dome top, and go around the outside edge of the leather.

If anyone out there has any tips for me, I would really appreciate it.

I am a little worried that the tacks, wont go into the wood very well.:dunno:

Hi all,

I made my first toilet seat top.

I am now wanting to attach it to the actual seat, and was wondering if anyone had some tips or "must know" remarks for me before I attempt it.

I was thinking I would use a good glue first, and then upolstery tacks, the kind with the dome top, and go around the outside edge of the leather.

If anyone out there has any tips for me, I would really appreciate it.

I am a little worried that the tacks, wont go into the wood very well.:dunno:

hello janice, i have done several toilet seats for customers the way i attach mine is first center the tooled leather on the lid cover. and mark around the outside edge with a pencil, the use a good contact cement on both the leather and the lid, i glue both pieces and let them set apart until tacky, then very carefully line up my tooled piece back on the lid. then i put on my nail heads around the outside. a tip i learned is that bepore i put glue on the back of the leather i draw a line about 1/2 inch in front the edge set my diveres at 5/8inch and go around the line and mark where every tack goes then i go back and take a smallawl and punch through the leather that way we i go to drive the tacks in i only have to drive them through the wood. one other thing you will need to do is take the lid off the seat and lay it flat on your table to drive the tacks this will make it a whole lot easier to do. i recently finished one that is on my gallery if you need to see what i am talking about. hope i didnt confuss you and hope this helps good luck john

post-20640-095686800 1304988067_thumb.jp

Thank you for the help, not confusing at all!

Never thought to take the lid off, that will make a difference.

BTW, what do you use for a final top coat finish on yours?

Thanks again, Janice.

Thank you for the help, not confusing at all!

Never thought to take the lid off, that will make a difference.

BTW, what do you use for a final top coat finish on yours?

Thanks again, Janice.

janice, when i finish all my projects i first use a light coat of neat lac, let that dry then i use light brown antique, then i finish with tan-kote finish . the tan-kote will also put a nice shine on your edges. hope this helps john