Oakley

Pfaff 1245-706 Knurled Screw

Hello,

I need a new screw for my Pfaff 1245-706. It's the one which regulates the preasure of the sewing foot. I think it's a Pfaff part no.91-000 636-25. Unfortunately that small screw costs around 32$/ 28€ if I buy the original spare part. Does somebody knows which thread Pfaff used or another screw which fits? I tried M5, M6 but they don't fit. The screw from my Pfaff 595 fits too.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Edited by Oakley

Like my father would tell people, if you want to drive a BMW or Mercedes, you have to pay their prices for parts and service. It's a good thing that we can obtain parts at any cost for a 30 year old machine in some cases. By the way, $32USD sounds very reasonable when you take this thumb screw cost and compare to other Pfaff parts. Nothing surprises me at this point. I was quoted for genuine 6mm (1/4"" standard cording/welting feet over $800 dealer cost.

Off topic but thats one reason why I like my old Singer 111 so much - all parts (and feet) are available w/o problem at very reasonable prices! And that approx. 60 years old clunker runs and runs and runs... :)

Thats what one should keep mind when buying a machine - how is the spare parts situation and how much do these parts cost!!!!

I have tried 2 or 3 Adler (67 and 167) after I bought my 111 but I alway decided to keep the Singer! The Adlers might be a bit technically advance (are they ???) but non of them was able change my mind!!! And the Singer 111´s are much easier to repair (f.i. replacing timing belts).

Thank you for your answers. Don't get me wrong I understand that quality costs money. Nevertheless I'was a little bit surprised. I would like to know if Pfaff uses a special screw thread. The dealer where I buy my normal screws and tools, measured it and said it's a M6 but those don't fit at all. I thought if somebody could identify the size I could order a few ones in the internet, but without an exact name or size it's very tough.

Edited by Oakley

"M6" is only the screw's diameter---you need to have your guy put a metric thread gage on it to determine the pitch of the threads. Metric threads are designated by the number of mms the lead advances in one revolution. M6-1.0 is the "standard" pitch for that size, but Pfaff has probably taken a page from the Singer methods and put a non-standard pitch on a standard size screw. See if you can get the thds measured, then you will know what to look for.

-DC

It is a special thread. I was trying to find a clone of the 1245 and hopefully be able to get you a clone part. Ferdco sold a clone of the 1245Pfaff. The unfortunately are out of business. If you tried Pfaff, Metro Spezial and Mauser Spezial machines, they re all now made in China. I believe someone out there has some of these parts. I would email MJ Foley in Detroit. Ask for Luke. They were the largest Pfaff dealer in the US at one time. I deal with Luke all the time. They are now the largest Juki dealer in the US.

glenn

From the FERDCO website:

FERDCO has been sold out to Hoffman Brothers in Rosemont Il. 800-323-9120. www.hoffmanbrothers.com Sheridan Leather will be stocking thread, ( the same brand that we were selling). There # is 808-803-3030, fax#:307-674-6683, they are located in Sheridan Wy. www.sheridanleather.com

Oakley,

I heard back from Luke at MJ Foley. He can get you the screw here in the States for $26.45US plus shipping. best I can do.

glenn

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I'm in Germany, shipping from the US is quite difficult. I will order the other part which is available and try to change the inner thread to a standard M8. I hope that works and is a bit cheaper.

You should probably update your profile and show people where you come from. That sometimes helps to point you to things close to you and not to things on the other side of the big pond - if you know what I mean. Most members are form the US so the 1st assumption is that a member is form the US when he is asking questions. ;)

28€ is not a killer price for a sewing machine part and I would not damage original parts when I can buy original parts at this comparatively low price.

28€ is a lot for a simple thumb screw but not a too bad price for a sewing machine part. So when you can find the part for 28€ (maybe + shipping) I would buy it!!!

And be careful with tapping new threads, sewing machine parts are often hardened and can kill your tap!!! So it could probably cause some more damage and then it will become really expensive.

I'd buy the original part. It's not that expensive and time is money, too. You probably already spent hours researching the screw online and trying different things. You'll spend more hours trying to make the other part work drilling and tapping an otherwise perfectly good piece of machinery. Unless you put no value on your own time, you won't save any money, really. But that's just my opinion.

The equivalent from a Chinese PFAFF 335 clone should fit but because of the cost of holding such a low volume spare it will still cost a fair bit.

Buy the original and just get the machine going as it is costing you money while you sit there worrying about a few dollars cost.

In Germany it's not available at all. One company wrote it's available but they can not order it. I think I will order it in UK.

I was missing the same part. The 1245 that I received was a parts machine at one time and I bought it at an auction without a handful of parts. I was missing that part and I took the insert from the top to a local machine shop and he made me a new part out of a larger Allen head cap screw, cut down to the correct thread.