DoubleC

Has Anyone Seen A Paper Like Leather Cutter

I have long wished I had a cutter for leather that worked like a paper cutter. Then one day I was watching a video for another reason and saw one being used but didn't note the video for that purpose. I am so bad at my cuts still no matter what I try and I can think of a lot of ways this could be used but don't know what to search for. It's not a power tool, or attached to anything, it literally had a grid on it and a handle you used to cut a piece of leather just like a paper cutter would have. Thanks, Cheryl

Exactly like that. I'll need to call them to find out which kind will cut leather. Thanks so much Chavez, Cheryl

;If you figure out which model(s) work well, I'd love to know. Any good paper cutter would do up to 3oz I would think. Would be great to find one of these to cut up to around 6oz. That should produce super clean straight cuts. Not sure it would work on anything much thicker though.

Ooh, we've got one at work, it cuts 20 pages at a time. Maybe I could wander into the workroom with a couple of different weights of leather on Monday and let you all know if it works?

I talked to a woman at staples about a heavy duty one that has a titanium blade. And she actually had one she used for her quilting. This is a 30 sheet cutter.

http://www.staples.com/Westcott-TrimAir-Titanium-Wood-Guillotine-Paper-Trimmer-with-Microban-Protection-12-inch/product_887012

She said she thought it would handle the 6 oz easily because it cuts up to a 10th" or that's what 30 sheets of paper is. Higher oz she said I could use the blade to hold the leather perfectly still while I ran a box cutter along the paper cutter blade. And replacement blades for this is only around 7 bucks. Now we just need to see how WinterBear's experiment works out!!! I so need a solution for straight lines and for my guitar straps I have a regular strap cutter, but anything over 4 inches and I'm doomed no matter what I try. Cheryl

A paper cutter with a rotary blade would do a more reliable job than a guillotine. I've had the guillotine type slip to the side on a batch of paper and really mess up the cut.

Tom

I don't know what a paper cutter with a rotary blade is Tom. Do you have a link to one? Thanks, Cheryl

I don't know what a paper cutter with a rotary blade is Tom. Do you have a link to one? Thanks, Cheryl

Staples has them. I'd give you a web address for it, except the Canadian/US postal codes will foul up getting to it. Search for [GBC 15" AccuCut Heavy-Duty A510pro Trimmer] or for [rotary paper trimmer] on your Staples site.

It works like the rotary leather knife, except it is mounted on a guide rail so you just pull or push it across. Cuts in either direction.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Cheryl

I just recently decided to try using a rotary type paper cutter on leather, partly because it uses the same blade as the hand held rotary cutters that I have used on paper, rubber, leather, fabric, whatever needs cutting (within reason). Of course thickness of the leather is one limiting factor and another is the width of the material, it has to fit on the cutting board between the two clamping arms. I have used it on some purty thick material (rubber, cork, leather) by simply using the deep cut left by the rotary cutter to help guide a knife blade to finish the cut.

I have also recently acquired a couple of the Al Stohlman brand stainless (not damascus) round knives in the small and medium sizes. They were too dull to be useful as delivered (as expected). But after sharpening them I find that I can do a much better job cutting leather by pushing a round knife than I can pulling any other type of blade. I do not know how long these little knives will hold an edge but they certainly will take an edge with a bit of honing and stropping. For me, it really is the best way to cut leather and I'm sure if I ever get my hands on one of the old quality round knives I will never look back but for now the cheap and available Tandy ones will do me just fine.

For me, it really is the best way to cut leather and I'm sure if I ever get my hands on one of the old quality round knives I will never look back but for now the cheap and available Tandy ones will do me just fine.

When you do get to the point of wanting one of those old quality round knives, take a look at Bruce Johnson's website (www.brucejohnsonleather.com/ ). He sells old Osborn, Gomph, Rose, and some others, and the tools are clean and come sharp. He also has a lot of other good old tools. Punches, splitters, rounders, gougers, groovers, etc.

If you're going to try the paper cutter(s) don't skimp on quality. My wife picked a cheap (walmart) one up thinking it would be useful, but it wouldn't handle much more than pig skin lining. Anything thicker and it would just stop, or worse, slide off to the outside. This one was constructed of plastic with a metal blade.

If you're going to try the paper cutter(s) don't skimp on quality. My wife picked a cheap (walmart) one up thinking it would be useful, but it wouldn't handle much more than pig skin lining. Anything thicker and it would just stop, or worse, slide off to the outside. This one was constructed of plastic with a metal blade.

I second this. Any paper crafter will tell you that the ones with the plastic rail move and you end up with a straight cut that is off a little from one end to the other, even with card stock. I don't think they would be good for anything heavier. The more expensive metal ones might work but most of them are set up for paper or photo cutting so might need some tweaking for heavier materials.

I also think the paper rotary cutter is not suitable for leather. You see it on the first photo.

On picture 2 my big cardboard cutter can be seen. The cuts also thicker leather without problems. The pressing rail is held with a foot pedal. So I have hands free for the knife handle. I can also cut very thin strips. A knife in my machine for cardboard is installed. The picture 3 shows a cut 7 oz leather. But I have not bought the machine for leather work, only for bookbinding. Such large paper cutter here are often in the copy shop. Whether you there may also cut leather I do not know.

DoubleC, perhaps a copy shop or a bookbinder is to ask around in your neighborhood.

I cut most of my leather with a knife or with a strap cutting tool. WinterBear, I can only agree. I bought tools from Bruce Johnson and it's really very good and sharp.

I hope my post was a little help. Konnie

post-35088-0-35422800-1350838955_thumb.j post-35088-0-88740800-1350839028_thumb.j post-35088-0-39365300-1350839049_thumb.j

Hi Mike. this is the one I pretty much have decided on that I found at Amazon. Like the guillotine model it has a replaceable titanium blade but it is a rotary cutter that locks into position before you make your cut keeping up to 30 pages of paper = 6oz leather) locked down. Kinda pricey for me but not so much as a table set up cutter and anything has to be better than what I do now :-) In the reviews it was noted by some that making a two motion cut worked better on the heavier things. Cheryl

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AE67Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=AQNACJEM8PUJ1

Thank you all so much for your input. It's really made the decision much easier. I can see a lot of applications for this and I need some help with any thing a strap cutter won't handle. No I need a LOT of help, cheryl

I've used rotary cutters with some good results here's a good one with a carbide blade:

http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersDetail.aspx?C=20&Id=71

only issue is you have to buy new blades every now and then with these, better suited to

lighter craft work unless you could find one with a sharpenable HSS blade. would

cut cased leather pretty easy i think..

I have one of these at home, used to be a school guillotine, but i just tried it on some

6oz and can confirm that it cuts it pretty clean even after 15.-2 decades of school use,

only compresses the leather a little bit too!

156726.jpg

Mine's a jielisi, which is an excellent japanese brand, only

thing is that i'm not sure how much these type of guillotines retail for;

you would probably want a beefy one for leather with a very

strong hinge like Konnie's or mine and a round knife might end

up being better anyway.

a quality round knife would cover cuts with curves or long straight

cuts that are too big for a guillotine; but you'll probably want to get

a pretty good one and learn how to keep it sharp, never used one

myself but have been meaning to!

I have an olfa rotary cutter and I cut all over the place with it. I've just about decided on this when I get the money

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006HV9O8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=A2G88111572J8M

It's the heavy duty, cuts up to 30 sheets paper with means I think 6 oz in leather, and since it locks the material in place you can get a good scoring on heavier leather to later use a different cutter on, plus can move the scored leather to the right, lock it down again, and hold it still while you use another cutter on the score. At least that's what I hope. Thanks, Cheryl