Go2Tex

Thoroughbred Leather

I'm interested in anyone's opinion or reviews of Thoroughbred Leather. I have not tried it, but am looking for another source for drum dyed brown. They have a walnut brown skirting, that I'd like to try.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thoroughbred Leather is Jeff Ballard, who supplies Hidecrafters as well as many other clients- like RJF leather (one of the banner sponsors up above). Reputation is excellent for customer service for Roger (RJF leather) but as you know, individual hides may vary. As always, call or email with what your expectation from the supplier is so that they can either fill your request or tell you they can't and send you elsewhere. If you call Roger, tell him Johanna from LW sent you. I don't know if it will get you a deal or not, but it can't hurt to ask. :)

Johanna

I'm interested in anyone's opinion or reviews of Thoroughbred Leather. I have not tried it, but am looking for another source for drum dyed brown. They have a walnut brown skirting, that I'd like to try.

I don't know about the brown but I have used their black harness. It was a good quality material

Thoroughbred has decent skirting leather. I don't know what you typically use, but I use Hermann Oak on a regular basis. I used to use Thoroughbred a lot in the past, but hardly use it at all lately for several reasons. Like I said it is decent, but I had trouble with certain things, like it drops off really fast from the butt to the back. It will be a good 14 oz side in the butt and drop off to 9-10 in the back. The sides are also very long and narrow, great for reins but tough to get what you need out of them for saddles. I like to antique pretty much everything I stamp, but the Thoroughbred doesn't seem to take a good color. You have to oil the piss out of it for it to take any color. If you are using the walnut color that may not be an issue. It is also harder to cut with a swivel knife and tougher to bevel smoothly than HO.

I also made a saddle for myself here last year that was just a plain roughout out of Thoroughbred, and after riding for a about six months the leather doesn't seem to have the same body that HO would still have after so little use. It is good leather. I don't mean to sound like I hate it, but I can now get a Midgrade HO side for the same price as the Thoroughbred. So I opt for what I prefer to use.

Hope that helps

Ross

Edited by RWB

I recently ordered a back of the drum-dyed black from RJF and got it yesterday. I wanted to try some for belts and potentially holsters. I won't be ordering from them in the future. Approximately 50% of the piece was covered with fat rolls, and they were at both ends. While some fat rolls are smooth and have no impact on a piece, the greater majority of these were deeper and clearly evident. In short, those portions are dead weight and useless for anything I make.

So I've got about 10 sq ft of this piece that I'd sell to anyone who wants it for $50 shipped. It's 5/6 oz in thickness.

Like Johanna, I'd strongly suggest you express your expectations to them so there's no misunderstanding or disappointment in what you receive.

Good luck.

I use some of it,Works well for ruff outs.The nap is nice and even.Haven't used any of there drum dyed yet.The last HO I got was pretty poor,but still using it .

Steve Brewer

I use some of it,Works well for ruff outs.The nap is nice and even.Haven't used any of there drum dyed yet.The last HO I got was pretty poor,but still using it .

Steve Brewer

What was wrong with the HO you got? Now I'm paranoid.

Ross

Well, as always the information that pours from this forum is just amazing! I am never disappointed in the responses and quality of the information so willingly provided by so many. Thank you all very much.

Judging by the mixed reviews, it seems, I have little choice at this point but to buy some and give it a whirl for myself. I will do ya'll the favor of a report on my findings. It is the least I can do, and the proper and fair thing to do for the supplier of this leather, so they have a chance to dispell any misconceptions and bad impressions or, failing that, to confirm them. I hope for their sake and, more importantly for my own and that of my customers, that it is the former.

The initial appearance and workability of the leather is one thing, and important, but I am quite concerned to say the least about the comments regarding the durability of it. When looking for a supplier, one needs to be able to count on a consistent product quality, something that seems to be universally unreliable at the present time from almost any of the suppliers.

Apparently, there is only one thing one can expect from the leather industry with any degree of certainty, and that is it will be predictably inconsistent!

I know that I am going off sideways on this thread and please forgive me, but I believe the last Shop Talk had some good information about the quality of the leather industry and I want to say that it mentioned several suppliers that have been mentioned on here. Read it if you get a chance....it might provide you some more decision influencing information. I bought some leather from a supplier recently (quite big operation) and I will never buy again and would tell others on the QT my reasons. Since it was my second time with this supplier, I doubt it was a fluke.

Eitherway, I found the Shop Talk article very infromative and thought I would share that.

Good luck.

I know that I am going off sideways on this thread and please forgive me, but I believe the last Shop Talk had some good information about the quality of the leather industry and I want to say that it mentioned several suppliers that have been mentioned on here. Read it if you get a chance....it might provide you some more decision influencing information. I bought some leather from a supplier recently (quite big operation) and I will never buy again and would tell others on the QT my reasons. Since it was my second time with this supplier, I doubt it was a fluke.

Eitherway, I found the Shop Talk article very infromative and thought I would share that.

Good luck.

Yeah, I read that article, and I thought it put a pretty good face on the Mexican tanneries but I had to wonder if it wasn't just a wee bit biased, if it's the same one. The only tannery featured that didn't walk on water was the one from India, I think and it basically said their leather stinks. That article?

Edited by Go2Tex

What was wrong with the HO you got? Now I'm paranoid.

Ross

Ross,The roll I got was really small sides,the wiegh was lighter than I ordered and fell off fast.

Steve

Yea, that was the article....unfortunately all publications and sometimes opinions are bias, but we have to experience it. Carl Suvaco uses it and is one of their spokesman.....this saddles look really nice.....for what it is worth. Just try it. But don't do like I did.....go to the same supplier and get burned twice!

Good luck.

Well ok, here comes the critique on the leather I got from Thoroughbred. I ended up ordering the dark brown skirting which they call DOA. No, not dead on arrival. At least, not yet. It is a very dark brown, which is exactly what I wanted. My initial impression was positive. The sides were large, firm, heavy, and not much run-off. The flesh side was nice also and would have worked well for a roughout. I only had a couple of cuts to work around but no problem getting a good seat and fenders. The color, however looked uneven until oiled and then seem to even out and was quite dark. So far so good.

It did not soak up water very well so it was difficult to work with. The seat was a b**ch. Carving was not a big problem as I am used to a bit of drag on drum dyed leather. Plus, I was only doing a little finger carving details.

And here is the result:

s36-010.jpg

I really like the color. It works very well with dark havana english bridle or harness tack. The jury is still out on how durable it is in the long term and how well the color holds up. Has anyone had any problems with the color fading?

I can't comment on the color fade or durability (though why would it be less durable than any other?), but as far as I'm concerned it looks great... and you've done a fantastic job too!

I can't comment on the color fade or durability (though why would it be less durable than any other?), but as far as I'm concerned it looks great... and you've done a fantastic job too!

Sorry for not responding to this comment sooner. I just noticed it. But, anyhow, thanks for the compliment.