TheTrooper

How to seal permanent marker on leather....

Dear all,

a friend of mine has some autographs of Pro Pool players on his cue case. He wants to protect this autographs from fading. Has someone of you a hint or me / him ?!? I was thinking of aplying a coat of resolene on it ?!? Is that helpful ?!?

Cheers,

Marcel

Dear all,

a friend of mine has some autographs of Pro Pool players on his cue case. He wants to protect this autographs from fading. Has someone of you a hint or me / him ?!? I was thinking of aplying a coat of resolene on it ?!? Is that helpful ?!?

Cheers,

Marcel

Resolene should work fine. I'd recommend spraying it on so you don't have to touch the writing. Basically you want to seal it up with a good acrylic sealer. Some Tan Kote or Bag Kote would work as well.

Marcel,

I would be little hesitant about Resolene based on my experience. I had it smear the edge dye (permanent dye) on a pair of stirrups. To back up, I edge-dye with permanent ink from a carton marker. I tried it with Resolene and Sharpie dyed lettering and it smeared some too. Granted, I wipe it on, usually with a sponge in thin coats. Spraying any of these would not probably smear, but might suspend some of the ink. Although I use TanKote a fair amount, I don't use it to protect anything. In my hands it makes a nice finish that is going to let me come back and clean/oil the saddle later on.

I have used gallons of Leathersheen/Supersheen over Sharpie dyed lettering and silhouettes. I have attached a few examples. These are not molly-coddled pieces. The toilet lids are exposed to steam and moisture a bunch. The rope bags and cans will see more lack of care than a pool cue case, and the Bible cover is probably handled daily. These have all been dyed with Sharpie markers, even the old turquoise and "antique" silver cross on the Bible cover are from Sharpie colors. The Sheen is applied with a sponge and wiped on. I am going to do the kiss of death now, and say that I have never had it smear. If you have access to sprayer, even better. I apply a few coats, this stuff will likely never see care again. I am a fan of the Sheens for personal stuff.

Copy_of_Cropped_old_turq_silver_Bible_cover__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_Home_Decor_036__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_new_leather_pictures_038__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_Rope_Bags___Flat_Top_005__Small_.jpg

Copy_of_Rope_Cans_010__Small_.jpg

post-29-1213664854_thumb.jpg

post-29-1213664873_thumb.jpg

post-29-1213664891_thumb.jpg

post-29-1213664906_thumb.jpg

post-29-1213664928_thumb.jpg

Marcel,

I would be little hesitant about Resolene based on my experience. I had it smear the edge dye (permanent dye) on a pair of stirrups. To back up, I edge-dye with permanent ink from a carton marker. I tried it with Resolene and Sharpie dyed lettering and it smeared some too. Granted, I wipe it on, usually with a sponge in thin coats. Spraying any of these would not probably smear, but might suspend some of the ink. Although I use TanKote a fair amount, I don't use it to protect anything. In my hands it makes a nice finish that is going to let me come back and clean/oil the saddle later on.

I have used gallons of Leathersheen/Supersheen over Sharpie dyed lettering and silhouettes. I have attached a few examples. These are not molly-coddled pieces. The toilet lids are exposed to steam and moisture a bunch. The rope bags and cans will see more lack of care than a pool cue case, and the Bible cover is probably handled daily. These have all been dyed with Sharpie markers, even the old turquoise and "antique" silver cross on the Bible cover are from Sharpie colors. The Sheen is applied with a sponge and wiped on. I am going to do the kiss of death now, and say that I have never had it smear. If you have access to sprayer, even better. I apply a few coats, this stuff will likely never see care again. I am a fan of the Sheens for personal stuff.

Hi Bruce. What are Sharpies?

Tony.

Big THX to all of you !!

This Forum is the greatest ever :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Cheers,

Marcel

@tonyc1

I think Bruce means this ones :

Sharpie Website

Edited by adamant-leather

Big THX to all of you !!

This Forum is the greatest ever :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Cheers,

Marcel

@tonyc1

I think Bruce means this ones :

Thank you Marcel Sharpies over here are a class of small yacht also.

Kind regards, Tony.

Sharpie Website

I've been experimenting with Sharpies on some motorcycle seats. I've also been trying the Bic equivalent of them because they have some vibrant colors. Unlike Bruce I don't use super sheen or leathersheen on seats,I use that Aussie stuff. I'll see how it holds up .

I've also used wax finishes to seal marks I've made with Sharpie markers with great results.

Kate