lowes48

Got A Singer 241-12 For Free! Now What?

Hey Guys,

As stated above, a friend gave me a Singer 241-12 mounted on a table with a 220v motor installed. It's not running now and he says it needs a oil pan for underneath the machine. I do a limited amount of leather work, and it's all hand stitched, so I would like a powered machine to speed things up. I want to make more belts, but with just the punching and stitching on the last one taking over 5 hours, I don't think a perspective customer would be willing to pay for all the hand labor! Just like everyone else, I want a powered machine but I don't want to get in too deep money-wise.

I know I'm going to have to change the motor to run 120, and do any repair work needed and replace what is missing to get this one going, so it might be a lost cause. I figure if this one won't do what I want I could at least use the table when I find a suitable machine. Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Can any of you give me info on the largest thread size this old girl will run, and if it's worth my time and effort to get it going? Is there any value in what I have now that might make it attractive for trading-in at a shop? I'm pretty sure it won't do over 138 thread but maybe someone knows something I don't! I really want somthing that will run at least 207 thread since all of my stuff uses that size or larger. It's looking like a Tippmann Boss is in my future if I want to sew heavy thread without breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance for the info!

Edited by lowes48

Hey Guys,

As stated above, a friend gave me a Singer 241-12 mounted on a table with a 220v motor installed. It's not running now and he says it needs a oil pan for underneath the machine. I do a limited amount of leather work, and it's all hand stitched, so I would like a powered machine to speed things up. I want to make more belts, but with just the punching and stitching on the last one taking over 5 hours, I don't think a perspective customer would be willing to pay for all the hand labor! Just like everyone else, I want a powered machine but I don't want to get in too deep money-wise.

I know I'm going to have to change the motor to run 110, and do any repair work needed and replace what is missing to get this one going, so it might be a lost cause. I figure if this one won't do what I want I could at least use the table when I find a suitable machine. Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Can any of you give me info on the largest thread size this old girl will run, and if it's worth my time and effort to get it going? Is there any value in what I have now that might make it attractive for trading-in at a shop? I'm pretty sure it won't do over 138 thread but maybe someone knows something I don't! I really want somthing that will run at least 207 thread since all of my stuff uses that size or larger. It's looking like a Tippmann Boss is in my future if I want to sew heavy thread without breaking the bank!

Thanks in advance for the info!

Check the ID plate on the motor, it may be possible to rearrange the wiring to enable 120 volts.

Very easy to do BTW.

ferg

The largest thread this machine can use is #92.

On these motors that are 220v they are usually 3phase & you probably only have single phase ,so this will require a new motor so you can call or PM me f/more info.

Thanks for the info Guys; I checked the motor and it can't be changed. And #92 just isn't large enough to suit me, even though I'm sure it would be more than enough as far as construction is concerned. Oh well, at least I have a table now! And the hunt continues... But I'm still going to keep the Singer as it might come in handy down the road for different/smaller projects.