JohnBarton

Pattern for a cue case

Here is the orginal scallop design pattern that I developed with Peter Hackbarth based off my original design in 1992. This is recognizable as the Instroke Cowboy pattern that is one of the most copied (and still asked for) designs of the last 18 years.

For all you aspiring cue case makers this is enough to get you started making cue cases as you can modify any of these parts to suit your needs. This is for a 2x4 (to hold 2 butts and 4 shafts) - hopefully I don't need to tell you how to modify the parts to fit any size and shape of case. Hint: Don't stretch them. Below is a small image representing the parts. This is also made to wrap around a hard shape such as pluming tubes bound together or a single plastic tube. Lately I have made one without a a hard interior and it turned out well but I am experimenting with a new material I found that is stiff and bends well without stressing to make the case as a in-between type between soft and hard.

You can download the full size pattern at this link: http://www.jbcases.com/patterns/

The files are in PDF, CMX (CorelDraw) and AI (Adobe Illustrator)

Scallop%20Design.jpg

spring-front.jpg

spring-back2.jpg

spring-back-closeup.jpg

I had a guild member ask me about this type of pattern. I really appreciate sharing what most would consider a propriety pattern that I am sure has supported your business.

Again, thanks for sharing this pattern with us.

That is very generous of you John. Thank you.

Steve

What do the insides look like? I am assuming there are some pieces in there with hold to hold the que's.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by The Major

You're a very generous man John!!!

Tom

What do the insides look like? I am assuming there are some pieces in there with hold to hold the que's.

Thanks for sharing!

Take a look here www.jbcases.com and you can see some interiors.

Also Brian Bonner has some good info on his blog www.nittanyleather.com

Jack Justis has some interior shots: www.justiscases.net

As I said this pattern is made to wrap around a solid interior. Basically put it together and stuff the interior into the finished container. That's the simple version anyway.

The easiest way is to get some 1.25 inch plumbing tubes and some .75 inch electrical tubes and line them with a soft but durable fabric. Tape them together in an oval form - plumbing tubes on each end taped to a bundle of four electrical tubes. Stuff this form into your finished exterior and you have a "Tube Case" as we call them in the pool world.

This pattern I show here is about mid range in terms of design and execution. There are far simpler ways to make cue cases and most who make them use the simpler methods. If you master this pattern however you can make just about any cue case.

The whole thing that makes a cue case different than most other leather goods is the need to close the loop if the case is to be an oval like shape - this requires rivets, lacing, blind hand sewing, etc... If you just want to do a simple fold over exposed seam case then that's easy. People do what we call "Envelope Cases" this way with a single or double piece of leather. They look good, the seam is easily done and they are functional. They have a larger footprint than oval style cases but customer's don't seem to mind that.

This pattern I show here can easily be converted to that style of case as well.

I am not handing out step by step guides with measurements though :-) For two reasons, one is that I believe half the fun in the discovery and two because I don't have time to do such guides even if I wanted to.

Have fun and be creative!

Thank you!!!

I went on to the link you bgave and the adobe file is incomplet other then that thanks for the link

Thank you very much.

Again, I am never disappointed in the workmanship shown by everyone here. What a generous group. I would love to know how you began case making etc. I have Al Stohlman's 3 books and have almost completed my first tool case, for that 2x4 that I drilled for the crafttools. I have made several knife sheaths and 3 holsters. Can you tell me what sorta little nails or tacks you use when molding? I either use ones that are too big, or they have something on them that makes my leather turn black at the holes. Any suggestions?

Thank you again. BEAUTIFUL cue cases! Gorgeous tooling!

Di

Edited by SunshineNative