luxefaire

Old Leather Water Bottle For Horses

Someone sent me these pictures a long time ago, nice to have a place for them, this is a favorite subject of mine....this bottle was made in Victorian England and brought a fairly high price to its owner around 2005 or so....the copper rivets are what make it water tight and they are amazing fasteners, I love to use them and were it not for special citrcumstances I would use them exclusively, I even cast my own out of copper on occasion.......b

post-54119-0-75781300-1407114041_thumb.j

post-54119-0-89393000-1407114055_thumb.j

post-54119-0-80063600-1407114074_thumb.j

post-54119-0-34401900-1407114177_thumb.j

Thanks for sharing those pictures. Im interested in leather bottles and pictures like this are great to see how they're made. How do you cast your own rivets, do you make a mold into which you pour the moten copper?

Hi you are welcome for the pix, i like them too....leather is amazingly waterproof in some configurations thats for sure, also sewing leather rounds onto ends of leather tubes has made some waterproof cup-like containers that are hard to believe....it is the original plastic...my casting setup is here: http://gallagherslapidarybook.blogspot.com/2013/01/build-charcoal-fueled-metal-casting.html i use the delft sand casting process, and silver is better than copper when casting things like this, copper/bronze melt temp is way up there....b

Edited by luxefaire

Thanks for that, its a great resource and Id like to give it a try sometime. The rivets have given me an idea, I'd like to make a tankard with just revets instead of the usual sewing. Many thanks for that link to your site.