fallingslowly87

New Here -- Maybe You Can Help Me ! :)

So first of all, I have been wanting to work with leather for a while now, crafting things for myself such as pet collars, guitar straps, etc. Here's the cool part, I get leather scraps from my job! But.. I'm not sure how to work them. They are pre dyed and fire tested for aviation upholstry use - so I'm not sure how to carve into them. It would really be awesome if I could learn how to do so. I have this great Christmas gift idea of making a leather cover for an art sketch book for my boyfriend.

Things I need to know:

1. Can I carve into predyedupholstry leather. Thickness is about 1/8". Really quality stufff (I mean this stuff goes into corp jets! )

2. What would the steps be? (thankful for tips)

3. Would Ihave to redye it to show the design?

4. What's the best type of glue to use of leather to adhere to a book cover?

5. Any tips for pet collars?

I plan on doing most of it by hand and getting tools when I can afford it. But def want to work on the book wrap cover asap :) SORRYfor having so many questions!! I look forward to getting things done and sharing! :)

Leather is sealed - does this make it impossible. :/

Leather is sealed - does this make it impossible. :/

Upholstery leather will not tool. You need straight veg tan tooling leather. I'm sorry to disappoint.

On the bright side you can definitely make stuff out of that leather you just can't carve designs or stamp/tool it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

Joe's right. You can make some fun stuff, but you can't tool it. If you have a Tandy close by, there will probably be some Christmas sales coming up...

In addition to the above comments, I'll caution you as follows: DO NOT try to burn designs into the leather. That type of leather can be 'hot stamped' and heat embossed, but those do not involve burning the leather fibers....or the chemicals that were used to make it and still reside in the leather. Burning the leather (aka pyrography) can produce hazardous fumes.

Thank you guys for the responces !

Sucks I cant tool it all, but its hi-quality leather so I will find something to do with it! Does anyone know where I can find basic tutorials for cat/dog collars?

I decided to buy some veg-tan tooling hide to practice and a starter tool set. I will definately share what I make here - I am excited to try it!

What is recommended to use to glue the leather when Im done to a book cover(wrapped cover)?

THANKS AGAIN :))

There is a good dog collar video on Youtube, in several parts, by Bruce Cheaney .. and just about any video on belt making will be 90% or so applicable to collars as well. Look for Youtube videos by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage for those, and there are a bunch of others as well if you search. There are also books on belts to be found, with http://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/default.aspx? being one source.

Hope that helps

Bill