Sign in to follow this  
pete

Craftool high-tech splitter with the 6"blade

I just purchased the Craftool high-tech splitter with the 6"blade. So far I am really happy with it but never having used one before I need help before I start another belt.

I want to split the tip and buckle ends and don't want to mess up.

What is the best way to set up the splitter as far as the roller bar adjustment goes.

I have the thickness dialed in but if I don't hold the standing part right it skives it immediately to nothing!

Are you supposed to hold the standing part level, down or up when pulling the strap? And should the strap pass over the bar level or at a slant(up/down)?

Please- someone out there help.

By the way this is a really neat splitter and for $159.00 it fits my needs(I think!)

in your debt(s)

pea-aire'

by the way- I noticed that there are a lot of players out there. I'm a frustrated jazz guitarist so I had a tele and Les Paul

5 string elec. Mandolins made in the 70's. I play swing and jazz mandolin with a killer keyboardist and bass player.

I'll post the pictures if anyone is interested on the off topic board.

-p-

Hello. If you have the thickness set and it is not splitting evenly it may be the sharpness of the blade.

YES - I know it's new, but remember these blades are 'factory' sharp. Spend a little time honing and polishing

the blade as you would with any blade. It makes a world of difference. As to setting the thickness, save a piece split

the thickness you want so that you can just set it in and match the gap. I just use a piece of cardboard that seems about right.

peace.

Appreciate you response ( I can't belive that you are the only one out there who knows how to set up a splitter. Either that or I've been banned from this site for my comments about eco-dyes!)

If you can't elaborate then could someone please give more information on setting up the splitter regarding the roller height

pete

Pete,

There are several styles of splitters, and I am not sure which one you have. Is this a splitter with a handle like the Campbell-Randall, Osborne 84, or the one Ryan Neel is selling, or is it one with a thumb lever to release the pressure like the Osborne 86? If the strap is riding up the blade bevel, it may be a couple of things. The Osborne 84, and the TLF model have a brass bar that holds the strap down in front of the blade to help prevent the strap riding up the bevel. It also protects the blade from getting dull by hitting your finger and getting corrosion from the iron in your blood. If yours doesn't have the bar, you probably will need to hold the strap down. Even on the one with the holddown I had, I would occasionally chop a strap if I hit a hard spot, or the blade was a bit dull. Also a longer bevel on the blade will slice easier and be less likely to grab the strap. Most of the new ones have a fairly steep bevel. Regarding setting the roller height, that should be a solid setting. You shouldn't need to hold anything to keep it in place once set. Depending on the type of splitter, the position of the blade edge relative to the high point of the roller can make a serious difference. If the blade is behind the roller peak, they will chop pretty easily if you are pulling up a bit.

All this said, I really prefer the Chase pattern splitters. They have top and bottom rollers the leather goes through right before it hits the blade. With both rollers, it is nearly impossible to ride up and chop a strap, easy to adjust if out of level, and easy to adjust height. They usually are not all that spendy compared to other splitters.

thanks so much. I called the fella at awl leather works and he did'n explain it nearly as well as you did.

I guess that I wan's banned after all!

thanks again

pete

I have a Cowboy splitter and it has a hold down bar in front of the blade, the leather goes under it.

There is no adjustment of the roller.

There is a screw with a locknut to adjust the thickness of the strap you want.

There is also and handle that you have to push forward to bring the leather incontact with the blade. When you release the handle the roller drops down allowing space to feed the strap to be split through.

On mine you have to keep holding the handle forward while you are splitting a strap. With some practice it is not hard to do that.

The blade on mine was crazy sharp when I got it. I strop it occasionally to keep it very sharp.

If I have the thickness set properly, it would be difficult to cut a strap in two.

I have split everything from heavy latigo and skirting to really thin rawhide strings and it does a heck of a job on all of them.

I use a scrap of something to get mine set up for thickness before I commit to the real thing.

Don't know if that helps or not?

Gringo