PJ234

Newbie (hobby maker), 3rd and 4th holster pics

I'm a newbie hobby leather maker, having made maybe 6 knife sheaths and 4 or 5 handgun holsters so far. I thought I would post pics of my 2 most recent holsters and see if anyone had any critiques or suggestions for improvement to offer.

This was my third try at holster making, a generic belt slide for a Glock that I made to use for IDPA. At this point, I hadn't yet figured out how to get crisp details via hand boning:

P1000956.jpg

This was my fourth try, and this time I figured out through some trial and error how to actually get some detail, so it's not perfect by I think I have the right idea now. It seems a holster press would help in the hole moulding process, so perhaps I'll try to make one down the road:

P1000987.jpg

Both are made from Tandy mystery hide, dyed with Fiebings Pro black and sealed with Tandy Satin Sheen top coat. I'm now pretty much through the Tandy leather I originally bought and ready to get into the Wickett and Craig shoulders I have waiting patiently.

Thanks for any tips or feedback!

Edited by PJ234

They both look nice but i can see real improvment on the second one. I can't help you on the boneing. All of the holsters i have made were just molded and shaped by hand but they were western type holsters. Keep up the good work.

PJ, both holsters look nice and there is a noticed improvement in your molding/boning skills with the successive holsters....

I have one comment on the 1911 holster. The trigger guard area of the holster is cut a bit too short. It looks like if it were to contact the trigger during holstering, that it could cause an accidental discharge (I know the 1911 has the grip safety and the manual safety, but stranger things have happened). If it were extended up about a half an inch, it would prevent this concern. The low cut at the front is nice for speed of draw, but the short, partially uncovered trigger doesn't add to this in any way.

Please don't take offense to my observations/comments. A safe design in a holster is a mark of professional craftsmanship.

-Tac

Thanks for the feedback!

Tac, I agree it is marginal in the trigger area and I would prefer more coverage. I've had it happen twice now where the gun did not seat quite as deeply as I had intended during pattern construction, so I will have to allow some more margin in that area in the future.