rktaylor

Awl And Needle Size

Since I can't afford a sewing machine, I plan to buy a good awl. I am thinking about a Barry King handle and Osborne awls. I am wondering what size awl and needles I should get. I will use it for cantle bindings, skirts, etc. Thanks for any advice.

Randy

i do not do any saddle making but my tips should still apply. The awl size should correspond to the stitches per inch. Some where between a 56 - 70mm awl should work for 5-6 spi .

Fineleatherworking.com has blanchard awls for $22 with handles attached. I own an awl from them and they work fine with a little bit of a sharpening.

Harness needles 0,1,2 and 4 depending on the size of the thread and the awl. Personally I use a 0 or a 1.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I need to order a small assortment since I find myself working on a variety of items. I need to practice sewing, but I want to make sure I am using the correct tools.

Randy

Randy - I really like the Barry King awl handle - I get my blades from Douglas Tools - Sheridan Leather sells them: Vandy, I believe, is Bob Douglas's daughter and will help you pick which size to get...

I have found that the combination of Douglas awl blades and the Barry King handle is very controllable - I purchased the flattened side handle - Gives me a refererence point every time I pick up the awl...

One douglas blade has lasted several pairs of chaps, my first saddle project is half done w/it and it is still perfect, just strop the tip once in awhile.

Ron L.

Just a quick note regarding awl handles.

I own Barry King handles and several others, including all of Osborne's. Barry's are a work of art, beautiful to look at, hold and use. But don't discount Osborne awls out of hand (heh, heh). Osborne awls have a very small shank compared with any I have seen. This is very important to me because I do a lot of stitching right up next to raised portions of leather that I have wet-formed for my harmonica pouches. With many awls, the diameter of the shank, and/or its smoothness/roughness preclude this kind of close-up stitch work. My favorite awl is this one: http://springfieldleather.com/24630/Awl%2CHaft%2CPalm/, the CS Osborne "Palm Awl Handle." You can see from the picture what I mean about its small, tapered shank. I have mine polished to a mirror surface so it glides against those pesky raise portions rather that deforming and/or scratching them. And, that awl does just as it says -- it fits very comfortably in the palm of my hand.

As a result, I get to admire the beauty of my Barry King awl handle a lot, as it sits in my tool rack while my Osborne Palm Awl Handle resides hidden in my hand.

Works great for me.

Michelle