Jordan

My latest Holster/Belt Combo Project

Having been very uninspired lately with just about everything I figured I should get back to a leather project. This is the beginning of a holster/belt combo for a Ruger Vaquero with a 7&1/2" barrel. Thanks to W. Ghormley for the pattern. I took some liberty with the billet and chape design. The belt will be 3" wide and probably lined. I used 8/9 wt. leather. The lining if I use it will probably be 1/2 wt. depending on what scrap Tandy has in their bin. The aesthetics of the project are still floating around in my brain but will probably be fairly simple with minimal carving or stamping as I am tyring to concentrate on the construction aspects of this one.

P1010001.JPG

post-4868-1236090682_thumb.jpg

I've made about half a dozen holsters using Will Ghormley's patterns. I really like them. For cowboy action shooting I use 1858 Remington percussion revolvers with 5 1/2" barrel. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project.

I did this one last year, Jordan, . . . using techniques garnered from Gormley and John Bianchi. If you see or get a chance to see John's 3 tape series on making Western gun rigs, . . . absolutely and positively well worth the 6 hours watching. Take MANY notes.

Both the holster and the belt are 5/6 oz double shoulder leather, . . . two layer, . . . contact cemented and stitched together. I sold the cross draw holster, . . . but am keeping the right hand holster and belt (unless someone makes me an offer I cannot refuse, . . . :rolleyes:

Don't forget to post pictures when you get done, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

fs_cas_44mag_cd_su.jpg

fs_cas_45lc_sun.jpg

post-6728-1236099567_thumb.jpg

post-6728-1236099720_thumb.jpg

Here's my rig. As you can see, I'm a "simple and functional" kind of guy..

My_Leathershop_016.jpg

post-8035-1236122667_thumb.jpg

All good stuff guys I am tryin to get through this picture thing and when I do I'll post some of my work,Thanks for sharing!

Todays progress, slow but sure :rofl: Have to force myself not to stamp, it is fun to see what develops but is to easy to get carried away.

RugerVaquero1.JPG

post-4868-1236126365_thumb.jpg

The picture thing is pretty easy if the size is not to big. When you are writing a reply look just below the text box and you should see a box that says browse. Click on it and locate the photo you want that is on your computer. Open the photo and then click on the UPLOAD box that is right next to the browse box. The computer will work for awhile then tell you if it was successful. If it was click the add reply box a little further down the page and that should be it.

Can't wait to see the finished project Jordan. It looks real good so far. I love that buckle, where did you get it?

Tandy leather. It is where I get all my stuff mainly because it is close as I don't venture much past my front door these days. :surrender:

You ention Will Chormley where do you find his patterns? Bear with me I'm really new.

Carbon , the Will Gormely can be had at Tandy ... at this time there is a sale on

3 Holster patterns for $5.00.

cattleman---dodge city--- and west texas..........have fun.

Hey Jordan,

Glad to see your still building holsters. I think that one will be real nice.

Randy

Thanks for the info.

Mr. Ghormleys' western patterns are pretty much offered by any company that sells leather stuff. Very prolific distribution it seems. Also he has them and some real nice buckles on his web site so you can order direct if you choose. As far as I can tell his stuff is real well thought out and researched. Excellent. Not going to get much done today on the holster as the fridge decided to break last night. Some bureaucrat must have thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and pressed the mess his life up button instead of the easy button. :Holysheep:

Mr. Ghormleys' western patterns are pretty much offered by any company that sells leather stuff. Very prolific distribution it seems. Also he has them and some real nice buckles on his web site so you can order direct if you choose. As far as I can tell his stuff is real well thought out and researched. Excellent. Not going to get much done today on the holster as the fridge decided to break last night. Some bureaucrat must have thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and pressed the mess his life up button instead of the easy button. :Holysheep:

Also the buckle is called a "Cody" something or other, at tandy on sale 4 bucks right now I just got the resellers flyer today.

Here is my progress today, after fixing the fridge, I worked on the 3 by 45" belt. about 38" between the buckle and the center hole of the billet. Still have to work on the keeper and the bullet loop parts but thought I would post a pic for any that are following the process. Stamp spacing got a little off and I should have only done a single crease on the holster, but so far I think it is going well. Getting a little ahead of myself but I am contemplating boiling down some coffee and giving that a try for a finish.

RugerVaquero3.JPG

post-4868-1236305452_thumb.jpg