AdamTill

How To Shape Tree Bars - Tools

Hi folks,

I recently completed my first tree, and guess what...doesn't fit anymore! Shame too, since I think it would have made a pretty saddle:

TreeFittedFL.jpg

Not sure if my horse has managed to get wider or fatter since I first measured him , but there's about 3/4"-1" or so of rock that needs to be in this tree that just isn't there. This one might fit when I can get some of his weight down (we've had SO much rain that it's been a losing battle this year), but really doesn't right now.

Sigh.

At any rate, since this one took me almost 6 months to make, I'd very much like some advice on how to properly shape bars WITHOUT it taking another six months to do. Granted, I learned lots doing this one, and a lot of the previous time was taken in figuring out the shapes required, but clearly there are some economies of time to be had.

Since I live in a townhouse with a single garage, my large power toolset is relatively limited, and needs to be portable so I can make room for the truck to live indoors (car on the drive). As such, I have a 4x36" belt sander, 57" bandsaw, and dremel tool that did the majority of the work on this one.

From reading I've done online, it seems a lot of folks to the large sloping cuts with a significantly larger bandsaw. That said, I've seen pictures of spokeshaves and such as well. Any helpful pointers?

Thanks folks,

Adam

PS - hints on carving forks would be welcome as well. I suspect 15 bands for my dremel isn't the most efficient way of doing this.

Edited by AdamTill

Adam, Rod does a lot of his shaping with a carbide carving disc (Kutzall) on a side grinder. He gets them from Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=33253&cat=1,42524,42527 They sure send the dust flying so if you can do it outside, that is the best.

Adam, Rod does a lot of his shaping with a carbide carving disc (Kutzall) on a side grinder. He gets them from Lee Valley. http://www.leevalley...t=1,42524,42527 They sure send the dust flying so if you can do it outside, that is the best.

Thanks Denise! They're just across the street from where I work, so that'd be handy to pickup, and I have a grinder that would take that disc.

Thanks also to you and Rod for the info you've put on your site - it's been an invaluable resource for me so far!

Cheers,

Adam