shtoink

A New Twist On The Sewing Awl

I stumbled onto an interesting thread over at The Home Shop Machinist that was dedicated to home brew tools and such. The main reason being that I have an interest in that sort of thing and thought I might be able to get a few ideas for future use. While digging through the nearly 200 page thread, I ran across this post. It was clearly made by someone frustrated with pushing a sewing awl through leather with their bare hands. I thought it might be something that could be appreciated and even replicated by those of you in the same boat here.

I have used a similar idea incorporating a drill press and a pin vise.

The biggest problem is having the leather come back up with the awl because there's nothing to hold it down like a foot on a sewing machine.

No arguments from me on that one, but I'd wager that getting the needle out of the leather is a whole lot easier than getting in there.

I figure it's only a matter of time before some industrious and curious person (ahem shtoink) makes a machine that can mimic a human hand-stitching and through it's use make perfect stitches fast and uniform. I understand that sewing machines exist that can sew leather, but from what I have heard they cannot compare to hand stitch in quality and strength. I can imagine all the motions involved with the awl and the thread and the tension put under the control of an algorithm with simple mechanics calibrated by a knowledgeable leatherworker, much like in welding today with its use of robotics. This could perhaps be the first small step.

Just a thought.

Hi Everybody, Here is something similar I made a few years ago. I call it the "Rapid Repeater" stitching hole puncher. It uses a Douglas blade, & it makes short work of making holes at the correct angle. Since the picture was taken I've added a light. About every 15 holes, I rub some beeswax on the blade. Hope this helps. Ed the"BearMan"

post-7175-0-27834800-1368547458_thumb.jp

post-7175-0-84122900-1368547494_thumb.jp

post-7175-0-76938600-1368547520_thumb.jp

That's awesome Ed!! But, I'm actually more interested in what the "bearlac" is ;)

But, I'm actually more interested in what the "bearlac" is ;)

Well, it's Semi-Gloss, of course!

Ed that machine is gorgeous! I must get one of your mauls one of these days.

Hi Cyber,,, BearLac, is actually the same formula as the old, 50'-70's NeatLac. I only made it when NeatLac wasn't being made. But, there are a few places to buy the NeatLac replacements now, so I don't make it anymore. Thanks for the interest though,,, Ed

Thanks for the interest though,,, Ed

It was just more of a curiosity ;)

The biggest problem is having the leather come back up with the awl because there's nothing to hold it down like a foot on a sewing machine.

The guy in this video has a clever solution to that problem:

What a completely simple and elegant solution! It kicks the leather right off the tool with lifting action.

I have my doubts that I would have ever come up with the idea. I was still thinking about some form that replicated a sewing foot. This... This just blows that away.

Thank you very much for sharing it.

I guess the joke is over my head...

I am sorry, its maybe a bad joke.

I only pointed to the fact that the sewing machine already is invented. I could probably also sell you one if we was not so far apart, I am based in Norway.

I am sorry, its maybe a bad joke.

I only pointed to the fact that the sewing machine already is invented. I could probably also sell you one if we was not so far apart, I am based in Norway.

It's not a bad joke, I just wasn't picking up on it. I didn't realize right away that you were Norwegian right away and you Scandinavian's have a very unique sense of humor. It is one that I can follow, but I just need to pay more attention.

I was also stuck on the fact that there are guys here who do like to use non-electric tools, but still have the want/need to make them a bit easier to use. Not to mention, if you travel a bit and like to bring your leather stuff with you, a sewing machine, even a Boss, is very heavy and inconvenient to lug about.

It's not a bad joke, I just wasn't picking up on it. I didn't realize right away that you were Norwegian right away and you Scandinavian's have a very unique sense of humor. It is one that I can follow, but I just need to pay more attention.

I was also stuck on the fact that there are guys here who do like to use non-electric tools, but still have the want/need to make them a bit easier to use. Not to mention, if you travel a bit and like to bring your leather stuff with you, a sewing machine, even a Boss, is very heavy and inconvenient to lug about.

Well, I do have many sewing machines, but i also hand sew. The customer has a choice, he get what he pays for.

I use a French sewing clamp two needles and a very sharp diamond awl. I sew one stitch at the time (the American way), pre punch and the holes closes before you can sew in them. If you make you holes big enough to be able to prepunch, you make them to big and your stitches become to loose.

Thats why prepuncing will not work well on heavy leather. I know people who will sew faster than that machine with a much better stitch, doing it the right way. It pays to do the job without cutting any corners, thats why I made that joke. And there are allot of non electrical tools out there from before. This will nor save you time or energy.

On soft leather you can buy a 30 $ old Iron domestic Singer and attach a roller foot and you are good to go. Traveling; bring 30 $ and a roller-foot; you find those Singers everywhere.

:spoton:

Edited by Trox

Hi Everybody, Here is something similar I made a few years ago. I call it the "Rapid Repeater" stitching hole puncher. It uses a Douglas blade, & it makes short work of making holes at the correct angle. Since the picture was taken I've added a light. About every 15 holes, I rub some beeswax on the blade. Hope this helps. Ed the"BearMan"

That is supremely clever. May I steal your idea to make something similar for myself? My joints don't allow me to punch a bunch of holes very well, so the stuff I am repairing and making for a Scout Troop and a Lions Club goes very very slowly.

I just picked up a dremel press and with a small fabricated metal disc i could put my speedy into it. Gonna have to try this out.

Bear man now that is a really cool little press!

I am going to have to bookmark this page so I can cypher your photos so I can make one for my self :spoton:

I was told to use a dremel tool with a small drill bit to drill your holes first. You can get a pack with about 20 bits at harbor freight for pretty cheap.