Here is a chest holster for a 45 Combat Commander. Let me know what you think, thanks!

Josh

post-19070-0-59645100-1350054113_thumb.jpost-19070-0-46006300-1350054120_thumb.jpost-19070-0-62250500-1350054127_thumb.j

like the look, but having never made one or wore one, I am curious is to how it looks in use. I like the way the hardware looks to.

Thank you! It has JWP buckles and some really nice flat rings I picked up from Weaver. I've attached a picture of my son in law wearing a similar rig I made for him. It's an open cary rig and the idea is to keep the gun out of your way.

Best regards,

Josh

post-19070-0-02327800-1350064682_thumb.jpost-19070-0-14143900-1350064698_thumb.j

Josh,

What a great looking rig. Looks perfect for riding.

Nice looking rig

could you make a sketch of the layout for the points of attachment of the straps to the holster I would love to make something like this for my C&B remington

nice holster, would love to have the pattern, wanna share?

cheers

Thanks for the nice comments! No internet at home and I forgot to grab the pattern this morning so although I'm fine to share it, I can't today. I can tell you that my pattern is super simple and I'll attach a few more pictures, that might be enough for anyone who wants try this or use it as a starting point. The actual holster part is a simple "envelope" type, Lobo gave a great description of how to do this here; http://leatherworker...showtopic=43098

Once you have the holster part figured out add rings or D's or whatever you like for the straps, these pictures hopefully show what I did;

post-19070-0-42444600-1350396731_thumb.jpost-19070-0-46363900-1350396745_thumb.j

Here's another similar holster I made for a Ruger Blackhawk that has less fancy hardware and a simpler rigging system;

post-19070-0-68621800-1350396914_thumb.jpost-19070-0-42038000-1350396923_thumb.j

Between all of these I think you can see the back piece and general construction I used. I have conway buckles on the straps going arond the left side and over the shoulder and a regular buckle on the strap going arouns the right side so you can get it on and off easily. These are the first two of these I've made so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Best regards,

Josh

Great looking holsters, I have made the M7 military type chest holsters. The chest holster is the only way to fly for long periods of wearing large frame hand gun outdoors. Great job

Thanks Bobby, the chest holsters you make were one of the things I looked at when I was making a plan to build these. Hope things are going well for you and yours.

Semper Fi,

Josh

I like the holster for the ruger that would be similar to the design I would be looking at making for my 1858 Remington army model

I would like to also try to incorporate a spare cylinder pouch, a bullet pouch, a cap pouch and a flask pouch on it some way.

I made a simple 6 shell cartridge slide for mine that I wear on the strap that goes under my right arm and buckles the rig on. That works well for me. I'm not sure how having all the fixins for your cap and ball gun would work but if you were to keep them as slim as possible it'd probably be great.

Good luck!

Josh

I am thinking i could incorperate some of the pouches into the strap that goes around the waist would also be easy access

I would just have to make everything then position everything to get the best fit to the rig I suppose.

Thanks Bobby, the chest holsters you make were one of the things I looked at when I was making a plan to build these. Hope things are going well for you and yours.

Semper Fi,

Josh

Everything is going great. Hamleys of Pendleton OR. is reintroducing gun belts and holsters to it's leather line and I will be making them. My son went to his first college rodeo last weekend and won the bareback riding. I have a couple big shows coming up so I had better get into the shop

Sounds like things are going great Bobby! glad to hear it. Making gun leather for Hamleys is way cool and congrats to your son!

Semper Fi,

Josh

Like the rig! For the holster did you use doubled 4 - 5 oz. leather, or did you just use 8 - 9 oz. and line?

Thanks.

Rooster,

The holster is unlined and probably around 10 oz. I used some lighter leather for the shoulder strap, probably around 8 oz and lined it with chap leather.

Best regards,

Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman