Sign in to follow this  
Patrice

can I dye chrome tan leather ?

Hi all!

I have a piece of chrome tan leather and wanted to know if i can dye it another color? The original color is ligth brown and want to dyed it maybe dark brown, dark red or black. Using the new Tandy water color, would it be possible? Or should i use spirit dye by Fiebing's?

I dont want to waste good leather, so i was asking first if someone here as already done it.

Many thank's! :begging:

Edited by Patrice

Since no one has responded yet, I'll give you my 1/2 of 2cents and it my not be worth that.

You are better starting out with lt. brn and going darker or strait to black, but chome tan is pretty much what it is because of the tanning process.(I would go spirit rather than water because chrome tends to repell, but I've never used water base so I can't say for sure) Let me admit that there are others out there that have way more experience in dieing than I, but I just haven't had much luck trying to change chrome. The main issue for me is if the artical made with chrome leather was going to get a lot of use and exposure then the new color may come off (only the top grain will want to take the die)and you'll have a nasty looking piece.

Maybe my less informed coments will stimulate others to jump in with more qualified suggestions for you.

Good Luck. G. Hackett

P.S. Do a test piece. Rub it role it bend it beat the living daylights out of it and see how it reacts.;)

Thank's! I'll try a tiny piece and watch what happened next!