Sign in to follow this  
sunny275

Leather Dyes...newbie

Pretty new to leather work. I am trying to seak out as much info as possible from more expierienced leather workers. I was told that Fiebings leather dye is better then ecoflow. Is this just a personal preference or does it have merrit and why. I have a Tandy store that I get my supplies from. It seems that there is a much better selection of eco flow dyes. Do you have to manage one diferently then the other...Whats the verdict?

Welcome to the forum.

First, both dyes come with their good and bad comments. I own both dyes and I am pretty sure that your local Tandy Store will also sell Fiebings dye. Unless it specifically states, Fiebings is spirit based and Eco-Flo is water based. That should be enough said. If I was in your position with what I know, it would what my application will be and more importantly how do I control it. My problem is that I do not like dyeing my work because I envision one finish product and I get another after it is said and done.

Spirit dyes require a reducing type product to split or reduce the strength where water based it simply reduced using plain water. Also the upkeep of the accessories that go along with applying these products also require special handling and clean up. It is more easier with the water based products. Finally, the spirit dyes cannot be sold in certain states and according to Tandy, they have just jumped on the wagon a bit earlier by introducing a product that passes current EPA rules. My understanding is that Eco-Flo products are relatively new in the market whereas Fiebings has been around for quite some type. So they have not only the product, but the reputation that goes with it.

I hope this helps a bit!