IngleGunLeather

Motor Clicking On Cobra Class 4

I just recently started hearing a clicking noise coming from the motor on my Cobra Class 4. It sounds like a bearing popping. Should I be greasing the bearings or is there an adjustment I need to make? Don't see anything in the manual covering this.

Check the belts to make sure that nothing is hitting them as you sew. Sometimes stuff on the table can move into contact with the belts from the vibration of the machine. Also, check the belts to see if one is separating and slapping something as it rotates.

Otherwise, make sure that the nuts and bolts that secure the motor, the motor pulley and speed reducer are tight. Then ensure that the two screws on the flywheel are tight.

Try lowering the top speed of the motor using the up/down buttons, according to your operating instructions for the motor.

If the noise persists and is definitely coming from the motor, call Steve.

Take the belt off the moter and see if it still makes the noise

You might want to check the nut on the motor that holds the pulley on.

I guess Bob got this one right.

Take the belt off the moter and see if it still makes the noise

After talking to Steve today, he recommended the same thing. I just got in a pulled the belt off the motor pulley. Noise went away. I'm thinking there might be too much tension and it's pulling the motor shaft causing too much friction. Gonna get a wrench in a bit and try a small adjustment.

I am not going to say anything about 90% of problems being the nut holding the job :) Not the issue here.

If too much belt tension on the motor is causing noise then the bearing could be shot but check everything else first as the motor is not heavily loaded for this application. I recently looked at a machine where the speed reduction pulley had a pronounced wobble but this was a one-off that is very rare.

Thousands of parts go into making a sewing machine/motor/stand and even a $0.01 spring can cause it to all go wrong.

Take the belts off the reducer & spin it,Darren is right I've seen the bearings go bad too.

Was able to adjust the tension on the motor's belt last night just enough that the bearings are no longer clicking. I didn't get a chance to run any material through. I'll get around to that tonight as I still need to tweak my thread tension.

One thing check the feed dog if it's to low it can make a clicking sound seems nuts i know but it did on my cobra4.

Also, if you are friends with Michael Weston, check for a timer counting down on a bomb! They make a ticking noise.....

Look for a Mayan doomsday cracker...you still got some hours left. :rofl:

Got everything squared away now. Got the belt tension backed off a bit and got the thread tension dialed in. Thanks for the suggestions.