Sign in to follow this  
Handstitched

Thickness Test- Q Stitch Colt.

G'Day from a VERY hot Western Australia.

Anyone that is considering buying a leather sewing machine of this type and had any doubts about what they can sew, I did a test for my own curiosity.

I got 5 layers of a reasonably firm 4mm veg tan leather ( 20mm is the maximum thickness) ,and put the machine through it paces. It never missed a beat, or in this case, it never missed a single stitch. I'm very impressed. I've sewn some thick material before, but not THAT thick !!

None of my jobs will ever be as thick or as extreme as that anyway, but it is comforting to know what my machine can do.

No doubt, there are machines that can go beyond that thickness and although my machine is a clone of a 441 , it performed beautifully, as will all the other good quality machines like it.

For anyone on the market for one, you can have absolute confidence that these machines are up to the task.

Its the best business investment I have ever made.

Look after it, and it will look after you.

All the best

Handstitched

post-7215-091606600 1327561254_thumb.jpg

post-7215-022116400 1327561569_thumb.jpg

post-7215-086426300 1327561602_thumb.jpg

And what is under the case next to it? An HG Palmer. a Pinnock or some other weirdness?

G'day again,

(Its still very hot here at the moment)

The machine next to it, is a Necchi domestic machine ( the model number escapes me right now) Julia Supernova I think.

I bought it at a local market for $20. Its in perfect working order, and comes with extra feet and accessories, handbook and a bunch of cams that fit in the top of the machine, and allows me to do all sorts of embroidery type stitches including fancy zig zags etc. Not bad for $20 bucks .

I've only used it a few times. It can sew thin leathers like garment, and upholstery etc. but nothing thicker than that.

But because it can do embroidery type stitches, it does use a LOT of thread.

I'll try to take a pic for you later.

I have two others in my shed, that I sometimes have uses for parts etc.

All the best

Handstitched