Sign in to follow this  
Mongo

Wtb Heavy Split Side

I'm looking for a source for heavy split (about 5 oz.)chrome tanned leather. I had a side thatI got from a Tandy Leather Factory store years ago. It made the best lining for cowboy gun belts. It was much stiffer than regular suede andcame in a chocolate brown color.

I took a small sample of it back to the Leather Factory andthe manager said that it was known as strap, lace, or apron split. He stated that it came from a small (now closed) tannery in Wisconsin. I would love to find another source of this leather. I don't want to buy more than one large side at a time, though.

Edited by Mongo

I'm looking for a source for heavy split (about 5 oz.)chrome tanned leather. I had a side thatI got from a Tandy Leather Factory store years ago. It made the best lining for cowboy gun belts. It was much stiffer than regular suede andcame in a chocolate brown color.

I took a small sample of it back to the Leather Factory andthe manager said that it was known as strap, lace, or apron split. He stated that it came from a small (now closed) tannery in Wisconsin. I would love to find another source of this leather. I don't want to buy more than one large side at a time, though.

I just purchased a heavy split from Tandy,...4-5 oz. for making two sets of welders chaps. They still carry it.

My Tandy Leather Factory has not carried it in over a year. I will check again, however.