candyleather

A new section showing the history of leatherwork

A new section showing the history of leathercraft and leathercrafters from the beginning to nowadays with pics and articles, something look like a virtual museum with photos. I would like to read any time the old catalogues of Baron tools or Kelly tools, the ethnic leatherworks from every state or countries, look for any old sewing machine or a leathergood made 200 years ago.

I would be happy to post any leather related subject anyone would care to share. I have plenty of Internet space, and I'm not afraid to use it! (Insert maniacal laughter here) Verlane has been gracious about permission to use her work, ClayB, Romey, Sidney Wood and surely people I'm forgetting off the top of my head have shared with us...any historians among us? Anybody take any good pictures they are willing to share? (Johanna hears the sound of an echo already)

Any history keepers out there? I know some of you are pack rats! I've been in a few leather shops! (There is an unwillingness to part with much -as in throw away the trash!- because they just might need it someday, and they'll justify it by saying "you never know who will walk in and want what!") We'd have to be careful not to violate any copyrights, that's all. I would love to know more about the history of leather work and leather artists. Please share if you can, or send links of interest. It would be a wonderful addition to the board, just like a zillion other things. (Johanna begs a little)

Johanna

Candyleather and I are working on a special section for historical and reference materials, and he has graciously offered to translate for us all....stay tuned...

Johanna

Candyleather and I are working on a special section for historical and reference materials, and he has graciously offered to translate for us all....stay tuned...

Johanna

Johanna, "Hagarsez

I too am interested in the historical end of the Leather Workers Hobby as well as small(?) scale manufacturing (Mom & Pop).

Also can't seem to get enough on sewing machines (I am a novice who bought a "Artesian Toro 3200" advertised 2 mo. ago in LW "for sale"sect.)

I was a dummy as I have/had NO experience sewing anything, have been searching since foe a "Teacher" for house calls, Oh well, ya know what they say about "OLD DOGS & NEW TRICKS.

By the way I really like your site and do appreciate all your hard work !

Gerry (Hagarsez)

We added a Leather History section as a result of this suggestion. I haven't heard from Xavier (candyleather) in a long time, and his email address bounces. I do hope all is well with him and he is just busy!

We are kicking around the idea of expanding the sewing machine section. We do have quite a few experienced people that answer questions, so be sure to post any problems or ideas in that section, and you should be whizzing along with your new sewing machine in no time.

Gerry, thank you for the kind words and your participation and support of LW. A pat on the back is better than a paycheck. :)

Johanna