InfiniteChain

Stitching Without A Horse

I don't know if this post failed but I swore I already submitted it. Anyway, I'm a very green leatherworker. So green, I haven't even touched my tools yet. Mostly because I haven't had the time. I just bought them a few days ago. I have been taking time during the work day to watch tutorials, research and browse these forums. I've come to find out many (all?) hand-stitching leatherworkers use a horse of some sort. I'm curious if anyone out there hand-stitches without a horse or has some other contraption or clamps they use instead of a horse or completely without. I'd love to hear what people are using for their setup.

Thanks in advance!

A stitching pony is very easy to make, . . . and it makes a world of difference if you do have to hand stitch something.

May God bless,

Dwight

Chain

Yes, Dwight is giving you good advise, Making a homemade Pony/Horse is a relitively easy job and very benificial.

And yes I do a portion of my lacing with-out my horse, but usually use it for stitching/saddle stitching. ------------ Wild Bill46

There are things on occasion that I find easier to hold between my knees when stitching (usually big stuff), but I use a stitching pony most all the time. They aren't hard to make if you have just a modicum of woodworking skill. If you don't have the skills, or perhaps live in an apartment you can find them from Tandy, Springfield Leather, or on ebay for anything from $25 to $2500.

It's a good thing to have!

Bill

I can tell you I'm getting/making a stitching horse as soon as I can, because stitching without one is for the birds. Pinning it between my knees sort of works, but it gives me a crick in my back and the leather flexes way too much. Having a clamp of some sort would make it easier for the needles to punch through. I'm also going to hunt down a pricking iron, having an instant stitch spacer like that would be really handy.

Until you can get one get yourself a couple of short one by sixes and a c-clamp. You're still holding it with your knees but it will hold the leather straight.

For small projects you can use a wooden screw clamp, which you might have in your garage or workshop. If not, using a hardbound book between your knees is better than nothing.

This is my little pony, . . . it is 18 inches tall, . . . base is about 14 inches long.

It is cut out of one 1 x 4 pine board, . . . about 51 inches long or so (actually was a piece of scrap out in the wood shop, . . . a cutoff from another job).

I lined the jaws with scrap leather, . . . used a cut off 1/4 x 20 piece of all thread (probably also a longer bolt cutoff from the shop), . . . and some nuts.

Bottom hinge is another piece of scrap leather.

Probably took me an hour to make.

It sits on my chair, . . . between my knees, . . . and goes under my workbench or desk when not in use.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-14288500-1414078312_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-93388100-1414078327_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-00092200-1414078348_thumb.jp

post-6728-0-80940700-1414078364_thumb.jp

This is my little pony, . . . it is 18 inches tall, . . . base is about 14 inches long.

It is cut out of one 1 x 4 pine board, . . . about 51 inches long or so (actually was a piece of scrap out in the wood shop, . . . a cutoff from another job).

I lined the jaws with scrap leather, . . . used a cut off 1/4 x 20 piece of all thread (probably also a longer bolt cutoff from the shop), . . . and some nuts.

Probably took me an hour to make.

It sits on my chair, . . . between my knees, . . . and goes under my workbench or desk when not in use.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the description and pictures of your stitching pony! They will be very helpful.

Why is the bottom hinge lined with leather? How is it attached to the base? Thanks in advance!

My guess is that the bottom is lined with leather because he didn't have a hinge handy

My guess is that the bottom is lined with leather because he didn't have a hinge handy

Right on my friend, . . . the leather is not a lining, . . . it is the hinge, . . . follow the picture, . . . it goes down under all three pieces there, . . . one upright is screwed to the bottom, . . . as well as the spacer, . . . the leather is just tacked onto the 1 x 4 with some little brass brads, . . . acts as a hinge.

In case you haven't figured it out, . . . I am a scrounger, . . . don't always have to have "the thing", . . . I can usually figure some way of making something do, . . . in this case it was the hinge.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I have been lurking in this thread. Thanks!.

Here's a handy thread that will help you make a really serviceable stitching horse for about 30 dollars

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=57903

That's a good one, . . .

BUT, . . . cutting up furniture in my wife's house, . . . ummm, . . . probably not a good idea.

But, . . . the creativity is outstanding,.................A+++++ all the way.

May God bless,

Dwight

There are plenty of tools we can either do without, make on the cheap, or find an adequate substitute. When it comes to saddle stitching, a horse/pony/clamp is a necessity!

With a bit of scrounging you can literally make one for next to nothing.

Btw, I love the leather hinge!