earlthegoat2

Advantages, Disadvantages, Differences Between 441S And Luberto Stitchers

I am still in the process of selecting and eventually purchasing a stitcher. My heart is set on a Cowboy 4500 or similar but in the last couple of weeks I have been researching some other options besides 441 clones. Such as machines made by Luberto, Landis, Puritan, and Randall. Research has kept bringing me back to the 441s based on the current service and current dealers behind them.

However the Lubertos have got me curious. They seem serviceable enough even if they have not been being made for a bit. You can still get the service videos so you can probably still get service parts. What can a Luberto do that a 441 cannot do and vise versa. Is any one of them more versatile than the other.

My specific needs are a machine that can sew 3/4" of horsehide down to 3-4 layers of 1000 Cordura.

I am still in the process of selecting and eventually purchasing a stitcher. My heart is set on a Cowboy 4500 or similar but in the last couple of weeks I have been researching some other options besides 441 clones. Such as machines made by Luberto, Landis, Puritan, and Randall. Research has kept bringing me back to the 441s based on the current service and current dealers behind them.

However the Lubertos have got me curious. They seem serviceable enough even if they have not been being made for a bit. You can still get the service videos so you can probably still get service parts. What can a Luberto do that a 441 cannot do and vise versa. Is any one of them more versatile than the other.

My specific needs are a machine that can sew 3/4" of horsehide down to 3-4 layers of 1000 Cordura.

The only machines in your list that can safely sew cloth or webbing are the Cowboy and the Luberto Classic. They use the same system 794 needles. The others are needle and awl machines with barbed needles that will devastate cloth and webbing. Furthermore, the Puritans are all chainstitch machines made for use where the inside thread chain is concealed. They are used to sew luggage, golf bags, rifle cases, Wilson footballs and Redwing shoes.

Landis harness stitching needle and awl machines are ancient and replacement parts and needles are rare, custom made and expensive. These machines fetch a huge price rebuilt.

Randall Lockstitch machines are a hundred years old now and were replaced by Campbell Randall Lockstitch machines, which sell for about $6,000. Needles and awls are quite expensive. My last Union Lockstitch machine used needles costing about $35 for 10, plus postage. The awls were only slightly less expensive.

As for getting parts and service for a Luberto, that depends on if you can reach Tony Luberto. Several members of this forum have tried to do that in vain. Others found him. Maybe Tony will see this and chime in about the status of his excellent square drive stitchers, which sold for around 6k.

All told, your best option would be a CB4500, which would cost less that 3k shipped, with all available accessories.