Rayban

What's With The Skulls?

Question about skulls.....why??

I see them everywhere in leather these days. I will admit, I'm usually pretty impressed with the workmanship and carving of them, I just don't get the fascination with them.

I'm sure it must be some culture thing, but I don't get it, someone please enlighten me.

And don't think I'm knocking it, again, most of the ones I see on leather work are .....well, kinda nice......but when I saw one this morning on what seems to be a ladies purse, I have to beg the question....why??

I see them everywhere in leather these days. I will admit, I'm usually pretty impressed with the workmanship and carving of them, I just don't get the fascination with them.

I'm sure it must be some culture thing, but I don't get it, someone please enlighten me.

And don't think I'm knocking it, again, most of the ones I see on leather work are .....well, kinda nice......but when I saw one this morning on what seems to be a ladies purse, I have to beg the question....why??

Don't think you're the only one!!!

Skulls are ok, and HERE they are really well done for the most part.

But what the (*@#$ is the fascination with them?! I've seen them posted on saddles, purses, lighters,hats,dashboards, bracers,.......... Must be a "culture" thing of some kind like piercing and tattoos. Although motorcycle seats I can understand.

Just didn't want you to feel alone

Don't think you're the only one!!!

Skulls are ok, and HERE they are really well done for the most part.

But what the (*@#$ is the fascination with them?! I've seen them posted on saddles, purses, lighters,hats,dashboards, bracers,.......... Must be a "culture" thing of some kind like piercing and tattoos. Although motorcycle seats I can understand.

Just didn't want you to feel alone

Being part of the "I like skulls" crowd, I'd have to agree it's likely due in part to the culture/generation. But to flip it around...what's with all the flowers? ;) It's kind of funny when you think about it, leather is commonly associated with durability, toughness, being rugged and typically involves cultural icons such as the "Old West", True Grit type cowboys, motorcycles/bikers & Medieval armor/weaponry yet it's most often decorated with floral arrangements & scrollwork.

Being mainly a "city boy" raised by my small-town-gone-techie parents, my cowboy exposure was limited to a few summers on my Grandfather's run-down ranch property in my teens and Spaghetti Westerns so naturally when I first got into leatherworking and saw so many holsters, sheaths, saddles, etc. adorned with flowers & vines my first reaction was WTF?! LOL. A few years later I'm older and wiser on the subject and understand the tradition and heritage (and skill required) but I still find it very interesting how perceptions can be formed. Little known fact - I do 100% biker & motorcycle gear and to date have had only one request for skulls (and one floral)...now U.S. Military icon, logo and insignia requests? I can't even count how many of those I've had/done. Go figure.

Cheers,

Chris

I think they are great! I have a number of skulls throughout my tattoos and I think they are very suited to leather gear as well.

While I can't explain it over all, I just wanted to support it! To each is their own!!

Kevin

I don't Not support the skull kulture...I just want to understand it.....

I have to agree with Spinner a lot. More and more art mediums are going on to leather nowadays. To include skulls. I think to understand "why" skulls you would have to understand what they mean or represent to the individual. Just ask anyone that carves them and they will tell you. Chances are that they use them because quite frankly they look 'cool.' Why does someone tattoo themselves with tribal art or flames or other art. Why do some pierce themselves with rings or studs in what I would consider an abnormal spot? Like Spinner suggests, it is just culture or generational trends. I guess when I am 80, I will not have to worry what my skull art will look like on leather instead of my body!

Good luck.

Don't want you to feel under-privelege. I simply do not understand the skulls, among a few other adornments either. You have to remember at almost 78 years young, I come from a totally different "revolution".

I think I am maybe, offended by some of the way over the edge stuff. Skulls with swords protruding, blood dripping, you get the idea.

I used to do sand blasting of glass mostly. I never did understand why someone would want a Dragon character shooting flame on their shower door. LOL

Chris,

I admire your expertise and always feel that your "weird" items are done in very good taste. That has to come from your background in "Carved" Art.

ferg

I have to agree with Spinner a lot. More and more art mediums are going on to leather nowadays. To include skulls. I think to understand "why" skulls you would have to understand what they mean or represent to the individual. Just ask anyone that carves them and they will tell you. Chances are that they use them because quite frankly they look 'cool.' Why does someone tattoo themselves with tribal art or flames or other art. Why do some pierce themselves with rings or studs in what I would consider an abnormal spot? Like Spinner suggests, it is just culture or generational trends. I guess when I am 80, I will not have to worry what my skull art will look like on leather instead of my body!

Good luck.

All good points X, in the case of skulls, I'd also venture to say it's part of the progression to mainstream society of the biker persona as well. Think back to the 50s and 60s and "Bikers" were a subculture that was considered hoodlums & bad, scary guys. The average person didn't have tattoos, piercings ride around on noisy Harleys, wear black leather everywhere, etc. As the biker persona has permeated the masses and become not only accepted but a glorified status symbol for many a wanna-be weekend bad boy they've brought with it many of the icons, styles and symbols. Anthropology 101...to be accepted as one of the villagers, you adopt their likes and tastes. Back in the day, many of the 1% or hardcore clubs adopted symbols that involved skulls not only because they look cool but they also have an ominous message to 'outsiders'.

The biker part aside, skulls as an icon are also prevalent in many religions and is a part of everyday life for some groups. Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is chock full of skulls & skeletons, ancestral skulls are a large part of Haitian Voodoo, heck, look back to the days of sea fairing pirates and you'll find skulls aplenty.

So as you said X, while for some it's simply a matter of skuls being the "in" thing, they can also mean something more to the individual...I tend to like dragons more myself, no special meaning, they just look cool. ;)

Chris,

I admire your expertise and always feel that your "weird" items are done in very good taste. That has to come from your background in "Carved" Art.

ferg

Well thanks Ferg. Funny thing is, most of the stuff I have done on leather to date has been pretty tame! Things got weird in the later years in my woodturning career for sure though. ;) I did a three piece series called "Darkness" that was definitely out there, but they also opened people's minds to new ideas. That's what art is all about, right?

:thumbsup:

post-10543-066831900 1318617770_thumb.jppost-10543-091173500 1318617786_thumb.jppost-10543-038026100 1318617813_thumb.jp

Skulls ?? Hmmm........... everybody I know has one:cheers:

It isn't just in leather. I see skulls everywhere from clothing to paintings. Kind of how the Iron Cross was elevated not too long ago. You can even buy skull adorned clothing for babies ,now. Skulls have gone mainstream along side with the Iron Cross, they aren't just for bikers anymore.

Skulls have fascinated man for centuries, and I see it as a connection with our ultimate destiny. Even elephants have been observed touching the bones of deceased ancestors in a respectful way. The catacombs in France are full of stacked skeletons, Dia de los muertos use skeletal imagery, operas - poor Yorick in Hamlet, the biker, and rock n roll crowd (Iron Maiden) have used it for making a tough image for themselves. I don't think that there is any one answer for the use of skulls. For some it is a connection with the past, while others use them for intimidation, far different thoughts indeed. A comparison can also be made with the evil clowns that are used for various groups from bikers, to bands.

We have a shop in Las Vegas called Nothing but Skulls,and that is all they sell.

I'm not to hip on the evil skull imagery, as I feel that there is just too much anger in society as it is-but that is a whole nother subject with me.

I think some of the biker persona thing goes back to the Pirates and the Skull and Cross bones. A Pirate was a renegade and bucked the establishment at the time. Same as the early biker clubs which were not 1%'s but the folks who returned from WWII with time on their hands and a lot of skills. This is also where drag racing, and hot rods got their start. The 1%s came later.

Just my opinion.

also, leather seems to be the perfect organic medium the skulls (or dragon scales) tooled on some vegtan look WAY cool even for a novice like me!

My first "skull" fascination was the Pirates ride at Disneyland -- just before the first waterfall--And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales!

Edited by cybertracy

The bike persona goes back to the Werhmacht. Not in a emulation sense necessarily, more in a we beat 'em, and we can wear their stuff. Normal victory behavior. The bikers wore not only skulls, but German helmets, the Iron cross (which is a broad symbol, but the version worn was from the nazi period). German officer's caps, swastikas, etc...

Skulls have a wide range of symbolic meaning, from symbolism around human frailty and mortality, to the horror end of the spectrum. Leather itself is the wearing of the skins of animals for practical and other reasons. The same cultures that feel at home in the skins of others, often collected and displayed their bones, antlers, horns, skulls, etc... A recognition of one's mortality is healthy and mature. The gravedigger scene in Hamlet is part of that tone.

At the other necessary extreme there is the celebration of death dealing, horror, etc... Sometimes you need to get ramped up for battle. This can descend into the celebration of cruelty, and terror, or the inference that one is one of those people who would be comfortable with that, whatever the truth.

There is doubtless a whole lot more to it than that. And a whole lot less if one is just vibrating with whatever is currently popular.

:blahblahblah: [.

There is doubtless a whole lot more to it than that. And a whole lot less if one is just vibrating with whatever is currently popular.

Well Yes......it's a Guy thing If i have to explain it...you would not understand... :red_bandana::cheers:

There are also "Skull and Crossbones" on some Crucifixes. This is located at the bottom signifying Christ's triumph over death. The one thing I try to stay away from, talking about religion and politics. I thought I would do some research on this because I thought of this very same thing.................. makes for some interesting reading.:taptap:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the allure of feeling like a bad ass, whether or not that concept aligns with reality or not. Sometimes people just want to feel cool though of course what that quantifies that concept of 'cool' is subjective to each person. And of course the words synonymous with cool depend on generation, ie: rad, hip, swell.

grinz_helmet_by_azmal-d30fyyx.jpg

Whether it's wearing a skull helmet at a renaissance festival or convention, or jacket with skulls, or motorcycle seat, or having some skulls on their book case (as I do by happenstance) people sport such apparel and own such possessions because they feel that, or project that, style reflects an aspect of their personality. Or they temporarily play the role as such.

Though of course the skull themes are overplayed by my estimation, I think that's due in part to a lack of imagination. Other reasons are likely the culprit though. While of course nothing new, it became an accepted fad in our modern culture and people often won't deviate from the accepted norm, even if that norm is an offshoot of something abnormal. Also, the skull in particular is rather iconic and the grim connotations are instantly recognizable. It's easy to grasp the point as it were, when depicted in art or fashion. I think that helps it be so wide spread too. When you are surrounded by the culture you will notice things like grave stones, caskets, demons, and all sorts of other similar themed items but the skull is also able to be personalized with characteristically human attributes like angry looking eyes and such. So it is much easier to get a certain impact with skulls.

This is all conjecture of course; personal speculation since the topic was broached. I normally don't spend much time on forums, easy to get drawn in and hard to get work done but today is a sick day as it happens.

Some really good conversations here regarding skulls.....

I like skull and crossbone motifs as well and have one on the back of my motorcycle and a couple pirate skull patches on my jacket.

I have a different take on it though. Although I like pirate lore and such I believe the skull and crossbones is a positive symbol.

We are all headed to the grave, so live life and enjoy life to your best. The skull reminds us of that. :red_bandana:

jt

It's nice to be part of a forum where everyone can share their personal opinions and not get bent out of shape....I wish my neighborhood forum was like this! grouphug5vj5.gif

For me, skulls symbolize several things that I like: rock culture, pirates, and general bad-ass-ness. (yes, I think I just made up a word)

Skulls, in some religions and religious practices, are used to ward off evil spirits....like a gargoyle. At least this is what I tell my mom when she visits and says "Why all the skull paintings?" LOL

. . . I have a number of skulls throughout my tattoos and I think they are very suited to leather gear as well.

Kevin

Living leather, at that.

Rayban, it's hard to say for sure what the fascination is and an earlier reference to the Iron Cross era is valid. Maybe a lot of it deals with the recognition of inevitability in an aging population and maybe it's simply the technical challenge of doing a skull well. A skull, after all, is an intriguing object.

ara

I would say that the skull thing started in recent history as a logo for the Hells Angels. From there Heavy Metal, Gothic and now Screamo Metal etc. all seem to perpetuate the image. Perhaps it is a fascination with death, the dead and who knows these people may be frustrated Thespians stuck in an ever present "Alas, Poor Yoric, I knew him well...." state of mind.

Skulls? can't understand it either. Flowers represent life and skulls death and well some pretty ugly stuffl!! lol No really its great if its your thing. And some of the work is amazing!! I just never will understand! its like watching a ladygaga concert. just some things I don't understand. heres to you skull lovers!

Josh

An old thread but an interesting one and I think I'll add in my "two penneth". The human skull (probably on the end of a stick) became the sign for "no quarter" in battle and most probably the earliest example of psychological warfare. It's pretty direct, don't need a great intellect to figure it out, especially if you happened to know the skulls previous owner. It's a visceral reminder of your own mortality, symbolism impossible to deny, "this was a life and I took it as I will take yours." I very much doubt that we descended into total war straight away, probably some bright spark came up with the idea and it stuck, early field communication "when we've taken enough slaves I'll wave the stick with Freds' head on it and you can just kill the rest" type scenario, and so the skull got promoted.

As far as psychological warfare goes it was as brilliant as it was inhuman and once a precedent had been set, devastatingly effective against a foe. Pure terror tactics its use demonstrated to such effect that derivatives including the famous skull and crossed bones centuries later became the individual emblems of pirate captains. But still the original symbolism remained, fight to the death and show no mercy, everything living put to the sword, total war. (Let us try not to think of nice pirates like Cpt. Jack Sparrow et al because theydidn't really exist.) The flags became collectively known as "Jolly Roger" by the British because the French navy just had to be different and use a red flag (joli rouge) to indicate no quarter in battle or so the story goes.

I've no doubt that the enduring historical symbolic and psychological power of the skull was why it like the swastika was adopted by the Germans in WW2, but that's all a bit of a red herring in my opinion. I've always held the opinion that if you like to swan around in WW2 German memorabilia you're just a bit of a fascist and may have other issues. I blame it all on those Clint Eastwood films with Clyde the orang-outang anyway. I doubt many contemporary skulls carry any traces of Germanic undertones these days as they'd detract from the purity of the message being put across. I like to think of them as direct descendent of the old pirate flags and ignore all the WW2 stuff. Only looking back less than a hundred years is hardly being fair to a symbol that undoubtedly played a huge and complex role in our culture from around the time we started walking upright.

I'm sure a social anthropologist could go on for days about the parallels in the cultures of pirates and motorcycle gangs, so it's hardly surprising that the skull icon is so prevalent in their art and in defining their identities both culturally and psychologically and why the skull is so prevalent in all art for that matter, whoever we are, the spectre of our eventual demise is one inescapable fact we all have in common.

Peace

I will say this...I've been very impressed with the various skulls I've seen carved here.....I've tried my own version and ...well I SAS...suck at skulls.:head_hurts_kr: