ShirleyT

Martingale Dog Collars

We would like to make a martingale style dog collar for a friend's German Shepherd. "Bella" wears a collar now that is 17" end to end, nylon with a quick clip, not a buckle style.

How do we determine the proper finished length? If we make it big enough to go over her head, will it be too big around her neck? We will be using a martingale chain, not buckle (adjustable), with a leather band. The chain has two d-rings and one circle and is about 2"...

Help? Pretty please?

Thanks!

Shirley

German Shepherds usually average 17" - 22" around the neck. I have the customer measure the circumference just below the ears and again at the base of the neck where the collar will sit.

If you're able to slip the collar over the dog's head, the dog is able to "back out" of the collar - usually at the most inopportune and dangerous times.

I only make the strap collars for my GSDs. If you want details on those, I'd be happy to share them with you. I've built only one martingale and was unhappy with it's performance. Obviously, I err on the side of caution with my GSDs. I'd never use a plastic quick clip, but that's my preference and of course the type of GSDs that I breed are for law enforcement, etc.

post-9389-098571300 1299674679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spence

Shirley,

You need two measurements:

1. The size of the dog's neck where the collar will fit. This will be the size of the leather part of the collar when pulled tight by the chain. Not too tight otherwise you risk damage to the trachea and other vital bits.

2. The maximum size the collar and chain need to be to get it over the dog's head. This should be the size of the chain loop and dees (the dees attach to the ends of the collar) plus the leather collar.

The martingale/half-check/half-choke collars I have made have had buckles to make them adjustable as the two sizes, above, do not usually harmonise plus the condition of a dog and thickness of coat will vary throughout the year.

We have Bernese Mountain Dogs and we don't use these collars as the chain catches and pulls at their fur and they become quite adept at backing out of them as Spence says.

Just my two pence worth.

Gary

post-636-097533500 1299680968_thumb.jpg

Spence and Gary - Thank you so very much, both of you. (That two pence is priceless, by the way.) We will err on the side of caution, and limit our liability, by going with a standard buckle type - lots of experience there.

Y'all are the BEST!

Thanks, again and again.

Shirley