Sign in to follow this  
pitbullpony

Looking For A "fishtail" Tapered Pattern For Greyhound Collar

Hi; I've done some collars with the harder taper; sort of like the ranger belts; but I'd love to have an idea of how to make a pattern for the "fishtail" pattern for the sighthound collars.

I've got a Rat Terrier; and depending on how much Whippet and IG influence shows through; some of them have amazingly elegant necks (my boy does), so just wanted to see if I could make him a fishtail collar -- he's got a few of the more harder angled collars; but I'd love to put an elegant fishtail on his neck.

If anyone knows of a printed source; or knows the methodology to craft the collar; please share :grouphug5vj5:

Thanks from Jen and Jigger!

post-12730-018230400 1302018194_thumb.jp

Hi; I've done some collars with the harder taper; sort of like the ranger belts; but I'd love to have an idea of how to make a pattern for the "fishtail" pattern for the sighthound collars.

I've got a Rat Terrier; and depending on how much Whippet and IG influence shows through; some of them have amazingly elegant necks (my boy does), so just wanted to see if I could make him a fishtail collar -- he's got a few of the more harder angled collars; but I'd love to put an elegant fishtail on his neck.

If anyone knows of a printed source; or knows the methodology to craft the collar; please share :grouphug5vj5:

Thanks from Jen and Jigger!

post-12730-018230400 1302018194_thumb.jp

I don't have a pattern Jen, but making the pattern is the fun part - for me, anyway.

I google fishtail collar and found this: My link

I would just layout the center (wide) section on a piece of graph paper or you could wing it and just draw it. I would work on drawing just one edge as I want it, then fold it long ways down the center and trace along that first edge to establish a near symmetrical design. Once you have a paper pattern glue, or tape it to a piece of stiffer material, I like manilla folders, and it'll serve for a long time to come. You have something you can use for a dry fit just to see how it'll look on Mr. Jigger, before you cut your staps. I built one of these awhile back but I didn't know it had a name. It was for Lunchbox, I don't know if she'd like a fishtail around her neck or not ... lol!

The photos on that page (link) show good details, if this is the type of collar you're talking about.

BTW nice looking pooch!!!

I do some work making sighthound collars for rescued racing greyhounds, and I've actually never heard them called "fishtail" collars before. I always just called them sighthound collars. Learn something new every day...

I'm so glad i came across this thread, I'm starting to make greyhound collars and was wondering what thickness to do in the middle. I'm attempting one this week so will see how it goes!

Does anybody know where in England I can get leathers that are already dyed in red, pink, blue and yellow? I have tried Abbey, La Prevo and Batchelers, but La Prevo only have old stock and the others don't have any. I am wanting to offer more 'fashionable coloured' collars as well as my traditional ones. I have had a few enquiries for other colours and am new to leather work so haven't actually dyed any myself yet.

thanks in advance,

Dee

I'm so glad i came across this thread, I'm starting to make greyhound collars and was wondering what thickness to do in the middle. I'm attempting one this week so will see how it goes!

Does anybody know where in England I can get leathers that are already dyed in red, pink, blue and yellow? I have tried Abbey, La Prevo and Batchelers, but La Prevo only have old stock and the others don't have any. I am wanting to offer more 'fashionable coloured' collars as well as my traditional ones. I have had a few enquiries for other colours and am new to leather work so haven't actually dyed any myself yet.

thanks in advance,

Dee

3 1/8 inch wide in the middle.

No idea on coloured leathers apart from DIY.

Gary