columbo

groover issues

I have read about the ..." to groove or not to groove"... topic but I was wondering if there is a video of someone actually doing it. I'm new and can't seem to get this right. I don't think I'm an idiot, but what idiot really does. Every time I try to hand groove, I get a sloppy channel too wide for what I have seen you guys get. And in pictures I have seen during grooving, there appears to be a neat little curly cew of leather being taken out. I don't get this. Point this idiot.....eeerr... newbie in the right direction please!

Anyway you can post a cllose up pic of the groover tip? Sure the blade is facing the right way?

Anyway you can post a cllose up pic of the groover tip? Sure the blade is facing the right way?

I'm not sure of anything anymore... These are the best I could do.

nxl9q8on7j18g6kry5od.jpg

zzhrli13h7flw7xg78.jpg

023.JPG

023.JPG

post-10188-125642648748_thumb.jpg

post-10188-125642652999_thumb.jpg

Edited by columbo

That is a Harbor Freight stitching groover--I know, because I bought the set it came in, myself, unfortunately. It should look more like this (sorry for the quality--the camera sucks at night). I suggest you run to Tandy and pick up a new blade (I just swapped out the blade and kept the handle, since it works just fine). Hope this helps!

~Noah

DSCN9959.JPG

post-9937-125645177935_thumb.jpg

Edited by NoahL

The lack of clarity in the picture makes it impossible for me to be certain of this, but due to the yellowish color of the blade area, I'm wondering if you've cleaned it off ?

Sometimes tools will have a protective coating to prevent rust through shipping and waiting around for sale. If that coating is still on the blade, it just isn't going to work right.

Yeah, the pictures are terrible, but what I see in other pics and supply catalogs appears that the blade itself is miss shaped. There is no way the hole is big enough and can act as a blade. So, since the tool was given to me and I don't have a lot invested in it, I will purchase another from a trustworthy source. Figure that should be the lesson of the day and not how to use it. Buy good stuff, as my daughter said.... Thanks guys for the help.

As a newbie I'm not sure you want to spend alot at first, but Bob Douglas in Sheridan makes the best groover around. the Versa Groover runs about $75.00 and you can buy the tips for I think $20.00. Maybe one of those tips would fit in the handle you've got. It will be sharp. I don't have his # handy by the computer but if you want to check it out I'll look it up for you. Chris

A cheaper alternative is someone posted a thread on making your own. It didnt seem to hard. I think he made it to use the bob douglas blades. Dont think it cost more then $10 to make if you have a few tools like a drill press and tap of the right size. You will have to search for the thread though, dont remember what section it is in.

I keep looking at the picture you posted of the tip. Granted it is out of focus on the tip, but it looks to me like someone just laid it down and ground the front of that leg flat. No way it will work like that. I use that groover a fair amount, and it works pretty well. I would get a new blade and try that first.

I keep looking at the picture you posted of the tip. Granted it is out of focus on the tip, but it looks to me like someone just laid it down and ground the front of that leg flat. No way it will work like that. I use that groover a fair amount, and it works pretty well. I would get a new blade and try that first.

I tend to believe that is just what happened. Looking at other blades, it appears that the bottom side of the hole does the cutting. This one is ground flat. Probably from the factory. Anyway, I am currently awaiting another blade, this time from Tandy. It will fit the handle. Once I get a bit better at my work, I'll buy some good tools.Thanks everyone for the help. That's what I like about this site, ya'll are just plain friendly!

Edited by columbo

The blade is deffinitly the problem. I bought a set at Harbor Freight came with the adjustable groover, adjustable V gouge, and a #2 edger for $12.95. All had to be sharpened but the groover had to be reshaped and sharpened. The Tandy blades fit perfect and the handle itself is good.

Man, I can't catch a break! went ahead and ordered Tandy Blade for handle. Got it in and ....It's too small for the handle hole!. Are there small and big ones? Geez! I'm just gonna order the whole thing. Picture shows the difference of the two blades.

050.JPG

051.JPG

post-10188-12568513428_thumb.jpg

post-10188-12568514377_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, we forgot to mention that! Yes, the groover you get from Harbor Freight uses the larger (I think they call it a "saddle makers groover") blades. It makes a slightly deeper, wider groove, which I need since I use pretty hefty hemp thread, but you may not. You can probably improvise a little bit and put something in the hole in the handle to take up the extra space and make the blade snug, if you don't want to get the larger blade now that you have the small one.

~Noah

Yeah. I placed a washer around the post of the handle and then put the blade into the hole. it served as a spacer per se. Still, I'll order the "right stuff". as a sidebar, how do you sharpen these blades when they get dull? What is the bottom suppose to look like after it's sharp?

052.JPG

post-10188-125685408775_thumb.jpg

Nevermind, I should have looked at the date. Sorry about that. :head_hurts_kr:

Edited by mlapaglia

The Versa Groover is amazing, well worth the cost. I am going to try to figure out what size Bob Douglas Bissonette edger matches up with a Weaver #3 edger because if his edger is half as good as his groover I will hive the sharpest English point belts around.

However, I stopped grooving my belts, and only do a small tiny tiny groove using light pressure with the Versa Groover on the outside of my holsters. My machine pulls the threads plenty tight to prevent any fraying. I have quality tools where it counts and well use the harbor freight tools mainly when I need a motor to spin something. You can't buy a motor for the price of some of the Harbor freight tools. So I have a drill press that I would never use as a drill press spinning holster burnisher by spinner that I would never use as a drill press. I use the HF 4"X24" belt sander with a norton belt to smooth my edges, and a harbor freight grinder that has an amazingly quiet motor on it when its only spinning some duck cloth.

I have more in the Versa Groover than the belt sander, drill press or grinder and its well worth the money (I have all three tips, $80 for the groover and first tip, $30 for the other two tips) Heck, I didn't pay $80 for any of those items from HF, I was really just buying the motors to spin something.