Sign in to follow this  
Jarl

First attempt at carving

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the right spot for this one but... :dunno:

Well its from the tandy motorcycle accessory pattern pack that i picked up this morning. Decided that i would practice/try to carve something and this is what happened. Any help would be welcome as I would like to get better but dont really have a teacher other than what I read around here on the forums and various other sites and a book by stohlman.

-Jesse

Carving-Rose_011208_10.jpg

I can't help you much. I am a newbie to leather tooling myself. I just wanted to Welcome you. The people here are very, very helpful.

Jesse, So far so good, Don't be afraid to add more backgrounding. Your cuts are good depth and clean. When photographing use a regular old fashioned light bulb and place the light off to one side. That will create better shadows and show your work off better. It will also give your work a nice warm glow. Remember Carving is not easy but with every project you get MUCH better! Nice work!

Jesse,

Nice work. It looks much better than my first carving. You will notice the differences in the next carving you attempt. One thing I noticed is beveling. You should define your bevel edges a little better. This will help the definition sort of "pop" off the page. I've never tried a backgrounding tool around the perimeter of a single carving like that. That gives a nice effect. I would try to recarve the same thing and use a beveler around the perimeter and see which you like best. You would probably get more responses if you posted this in the Critique my work section.

Good luck and happy carving.

Marlon

Just curious as to an effect here, but is the interior of the image beveled as well? Some of the marking on the 'left' side of the image look a lot like what I did when I used a modeling spoon to try and burnish. If the effect is to present the image 3-D, and raise it off the background, use less tooling inside the lines, and more backgrounding/matting around it. If you're trying to sink the image into the background, then reverse that- more tooling inside, less outside. Don't worry too much about it though...it's better looking than my first attempt.

Hey Jesse,

Wow, that looks like my first piece of work too. At least you got the right leather and a nice pattern going. I made up a spider from a book and went to town. I had the wrong type leather and an X-acto knife. No beveling tools or backgrounders. lol Kinda humbles me when I see it and makes me proud of the small progress I've made thus far. I am so glad you are trying and posting. Some people don't even have the courage to do that. I will try to dig up my first piece and post it...lol