calanneh

Sword Frogs

Hey folks!

I made a few sword frogs over the last few days that will be going in my buddy's shop at the Tex Ren Fest this weekend...or longer is they don't sell..lol!!

They had all black so he asked me to make some brown and tan models as they are always having people ask for something other than black. But as 80% want black, they never make anything else.

I made a few different designs and colors...left vs right....laced and unlaced....buckles and ties....etc etc.

Some came out better than other.

I was happy with my lacing (first attempt at double loop) but I did miss a loop on the very top as you will spot and had to splice twice (kinda noticeable).

My stamping got a lil off on two of them...sneezed while striking one and my cat bumped my arm on another...sigh.

Let me know what ya think! I will be making more next week (if these sell) and want to learn from my mistakes!

William

frog1.JPG

frog3.JPG

frog4.JPG

post-6419-1224828322_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1224828349_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1224828365_thumb.jpg

and the rest....

frog2.JPG

frog6.JPG

frog5.JPG

post-6419-1224828757_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1224828770_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1224828790_thumb.jpg

WOW those are pretty cool. Good job.

Very good looking frogs!

I really like the one that is stringed together.

I would have sanded the corners a bit on the ends though the buckles because the level of your works calls for it. One of those fingernails sandingboards is great to round of edges.

I'm sure those will stand out great amongst the black ones.

Tom

Very good looking frogs!

I really like the one that is stringed together.

I would have sanded the corners a bit on the ends though the buckles because the level of your works calls for it. One of those fingernails sandingboards is great to round of edges.

I'm sure those will stand out great amongst the black ones.

Tom

Good thought Tom!

I paid so much attention to the main part of the frog I didn't think of sanding the edges of the straps. I still have them here this morning so I think I will have another look at them with that in mind. I can touch that up some before I deliver them.

My buddy also commented that they don't have any left hand draw frogs (and the shop owner is left handed) so he thinks those will go over pretty good to.

I didn't wanna double post so I did not put these in 'critique my work', so if anybody else has comments, please let em know! PM me if ya are afraid to make me cry in public!! LOL

William

Well, I sold two this weekend.

The rich brown one as is and the tan one dyed black and satin sheened on the spot.

I will be dyeing the other lite tan ones black this week and trying to sell them over the next three weekends. I will also be doing a little touch-up work on them with some of the advise from above.

Not bad for a start!

Thanks for the input guys!!!

William

frog1.JPG

frog7.jpg

post-6419-1226343523_thumb.jpg

post-6419-1226343540_thumb.jpg

I don't craft items for stock, but TRF is my home Faire.

Here is a hanger/frog I made several years ago based on a piece I saw in a museum in Portugal. Exact time period unknown, but I suspect it was pretty early considering the scabbard was tied into the rig.

swordhangcelt.jpg

post-8309-1230746091_thumb.jpg