BurnTheBarrels

Entering Leather Crafts - Essential Things To Get Started

I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly that I want to make yet (is that a problem?) but what would you guys recommend as the essential things to get started in leather working? Where would you guys recommend starting? A project, perhaps, or a kit of some sort that's easy to learn from? Eventually I think it'd be nice to start making horse and dog items, since they're my favorite animals and I've always wanted to do something related to them. :) Opinions, thoughts, things that work or don't work, where to find things, that sorta stuff... let me know what you guys have to say.

Best place to start would be http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com The ideal situation would be if they have a physical store close to you, where you can get basic supplies and free lessons. There are much better suppliers of leather, hardware, and tools if you really want to get into the craft, but they are still a great starting place. Second option would be one of the Tandy starter kits along with their free how-to videos. This is how I got started. The basic kit is $35, and the deluxe kit is about $60 depending on sales. The videos give you a good idea of other tools that would be handy as you start doing projects.

If you want to start with horse and dog gear, you can get away with a pretty short list of specialty tools.

Swivel knife and stamping set

Drawing Compass

Hole punch set OR rotary hole punch

Snap / Rivet setter kit

Leather dye of your choice

Acrylic Resolene (the leather equivalent to acrylic wood finish basically)

Pack of vegetable tan (veg tan) leather scrap for practice

That's actually a fairly extensive list for a beginner, but will do pretty much everything you may want to do. Everything else you may need you can pick up easily, a good craft knife, sponges, cheap craft paint brushes, tracing paper, pencils, sewing needles, you get the idea. Your basic craft supplies. That would run right about $100 if you want to jump right in. There are a lot of specialty tools that make things easier or faster of course, but you would be able to do everything with that set.

Edited by Glendon

I found a kit to make folding knife kits that I might try out, see if I can make something for my Leatherman's knife. While there's two stores in my state, they're kind of far away :( I already looked into that, maybe one day I could swing a special trip down to one of the physical stores.

That was my situation too. Tandy in the state, but not quite easy to get to. If you're thinking about one of the little $10 kits from Tandy, I'd strongly suggest the Basic Leathercraft Kit http://www.tandyleat...s/55509-00.aspx for $35. When you buy the kit for $10, you're going to need the basic rivet setter for $5, and then you'll want the stamping tool set for $25 so you can put a design on it, then you'll need a mallet, then you'll want to finish the kit... It starts to add up quick. The basic starter kit the cheapest way to really try out leatherworking.

Edited by Glendon

I found a kit to make folding knife kits that I might try out, see if I can make something for my Leatherman's knife. While there's two stores in my state, they're kind of far away :( I already looked into that, maybe one day I could swing a special trip down to one of the physical stores.

I don't know if all Tandy's do this but if you put in Special instructions of your online tandy order. "Please, ship as first class... or as cheaply as possible" Often the $12.99 the site says is the shipping is reduced to like $8. also there is a code that gets you $10 off your order. 1kRet-CR-11

I do recommend that you sign up for at least the gold membership. (even better if you get the elite membership) Each month you get something free (I got one 7.99 stamp free last month) this month I got $5.00 off Leathercraftlibrary.com And you see deals that the general public does not.

Do get the deluxe kit while it's on sale. The reason is you get a better knife, a nylon mallet and some project pieces... and some eco flo. Though some hate eco flo, it's enough to get you started until you decide whether you want something a bit better. The stamps suck eggs... but if you have issues with them Tandy will replace them if you email or call the store who shipped the kit.

Learn to make Vinegaroon. I am in the midst of fighting Black once again. I look like a coal miner at the moment from the stuff. (hate black) Save yourself the trouble and start out that way.

Couldn't hurt for you to get an airbrush and small pancake compressor.

Also get a few pounds of SCRAP from somewhere. You won't want to practice your knife cuts on your project pieces... and you do need to practice.

Look around your own garage for alternatives to help you....

Carpenter Squares, sand paper, rubber mallet, straight edges, rulers

Edited by Sylvia

Have to agree with everything said there. You don't strictly NEED the deluxe kit, but it is a great all in one starting point. And please take the suggestion we both posted about buying the scrap bag http://www.tandyleat...s/99500-02.aspx You will be very glad you did. As I said before, there are other better supliers like Springfield Leather Company after you know you'll be sticking around, but at first its easier to get everything from one place.

Edited by Glendon

my wife bought me the Basic Tandy starter kit this christmas, and now i'm totally hooked.

Tandy seem to have these kits on sale quite regularly, and whilst many on the forum whinge about the quality of the stamps, they have worked out fine for me as a beginner.

You get a lot of stuff in the basic kit. Certainly enough to decide if the hobby is for you, and without overspending. Be prepared to start spending once you do get hooked, as leather is not cheap and each project you tackle will set you wondering what tool you could buy to accomplish the next task easier, neater, quicker, etc.

Tandy also have lots of free how-to videos on their website, so you can watch beforehand and learn some of the tips and tricks.

Just remember to keep your blades really sharp!

adam

I'll keep this all in mind :) I tried that code yesterday and it said that it could not apply to my account since it was already used?

That was one of the codes from the Tandy catalog. If you order a catalog with your first order, they give you a code for 10% off your next order. What was posted was an older one I believe.

Interesting. That code said that it was used successfully March 15th. Of course they could have shut it down now that it's almost the end of March.

Do order the catalog though, it's a handy reference because sometimes the Tandy site seems to hide things even though they are available.

Another place you might want to search a lot for things is http://www.harborfreight.com They have a lot of tools that are perfectly suitable for leather working including hole punch sets.

The interesting thing about Harbor Freight is that you can "Stack" coupons. Yesterday I ordered a few things, used 3 coupon codes. INSURE20 (20% OFF 1 ITEM) and NOWFREE (got 2 clamps free) and SPRING10 (10 PERCENT OFF ONE ITEM) It says "Enter multiple coupon codes one at a time." after you click checkout but you can do it while in the cart too.

I also like and recommend http://www.stecksstore.com they carry most of Tandy's stuff but their shipping is much less and often their prices are already at the gold membership price or a few cents lower. Also Bruce will match any sale price that Tandy offers, just email him if you see a better price at Tandy.

StandingBears.com is a source too but unfortunately they don't have a way to order from their website. However for some unknown reason their Facebook page has a way to order a few things right from facebook.

For resources, also don't forget http://springfieldleather.com/ Springfield Leather Company. SLC was originally a Tandy store, but was then bought by it's then manager, Kevin when Tandy was going to close a lot of locations. They don't have all of the Tandy stock, but they have the bulk of it, and their leather selection is much better. They don't carry the beginner kits that Tandy has, but I'd look at them for anything else. Their customer service is really something to experience.

I find all their beginner tools are usually better as well. I've never purchased anything from Tandy because I always find better stuff for lower or same prices on Springfield's site. But, the Tandy kit is a good way to start - as long as you realize that there is better stuff out there once you're ready to get down to work outside of the kit.

I think Tandy's kit would be a good place to start, and they're having a sale right now, although I don't know on what. Also WC, one of our members sells Tandy stuff so I get all my stuff from him now, support a small business, etc. His shop is www.standingbearstradingpost.com I do some horse things, and made a dog leash for a friend of mine, and hope to do tack later on, but I'm having too much fun doing what I'm doing right now to focus on that. If I see something on here that looks intriguing, I try and make it. usually doesn't work out but it's fun and I learn a lot. And I also keep up with my rhythm beads and 'Mare's Stare' which are products I'm selling by doing it that way. I've had a lot of help on here getting what I need to do some work, and you'll find people are willing to answer all your questions! But think about the fact it's an expensive hobby.....and addicting. If you start you probably won't quit until you own a mall sized work area rofl.gif

So many choices O.o lol

Would the basic kit from Tandy be a good starting point?

Yeah, that would be fine to start with. The knife and mallet in the kit are a little sub-par, but all the other stuff that's good in it would set you back at least $60 if you were to buy it separately, so that alone is worth it. If you're going to buy the kit, I really do suggest also getting a bag of practice leather. The kit leather has been treated weird and really doesn't tool the way it's supposed to. My work really started improving once I got a hold of the real stuff and figured out what it was supposed to be like. Besides, then you'll be able to practice designs before you make stuff out of the kit patterns.

So many choices O.o lol

Would the basic kit from Tandy be a good starting point?

As I said before I would NOT get the basic kit but pay the extra to get the Deluxe Kit. You get a better mallet and better adjustable knife. You get better project pieces too.