Muse

How To Change The Color Of Colored Leather?

I've worked with leather from time to time for many years, made my own belts, affixed many a grommet, etc. I have a special problem at the moment. I bought my first eReader last night online. It's used, looks perfect in every way for me except for one thing -- it's a Kindle Keyboard 3G, and with it comes a lighted leather case. I'm a male, very masculine, and this case is hot pink! These cases come in at least seven different colors and any of them would have been fine with me except pink:

Hot pink leather case

This eBay deal was perfect for me otherwise and I figure I can either:

1. Live with the horrible color

2. Learn to think the color isn't so bad

3. Somehow change the color

I think the color is just on the outside. Is there some way I can change the color without making a mess of the case? Maybe spray paint it? Maybe do something to give tooth to the leather (I assume it's got a glossy plastic-like sheen to it) and apply a stain of some kind. I have some things for leather including black dye, a variety of shoe polishes and leather polishes, cleaners, etc. I'm generally very handy, have a tool/workroom, have a fair variety of handy substances and gadgets.

Like I say, I don't want to make a mess of it. I have nothing to experiment on. I'd like whatever I do to work reasonably well! Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Edited by Muse

That is a real pink, isn't it. I can see why you'd be interested to know about changing it.

If indeed it is leather, it's probably an acrylic color coat.

You can break the surface with Acetone, if you can't find Leather Dye Preparer. Check a local shoe repair shop.

Several light coats, with any flexible acrylic color will work now, whether it be a leather spray (one is called Nulife Color Spray at a s/r shop). You can actually paint it on if you wish.

I'd follow with a fixitive spray from an art supply store, or a claer acrylic coat. And then keep it waxed with neutral wax polish. Otherwise don't use shoe polish to color your leather items, it will rub off color.

Hope that helps.

If indeed it is leather, it's probably an acrylic color coat.

You can break the surface with Acetone, if you can't find Leather Dye Preparer. Check a local shoe repair shop.

Several light coats, with any flexible acrylic color will work now, whether it be a leather spray (one is called Nulife Color Spray at a s/r shop). You can actually paint it on if you wish.

I'd follow with a fixitive spray from an art supply store, or a claer acrylic coat. And then keep it waxed with neutral wax polish. Otherwise don't use shoe polish to color your leather items, it will rub off color.

I think it's almost certainly real leather. I have plenty of acetone (bought a gallon can!). I always have acetone on hand, wonderful stuff, I pour it off from the gallon can using a funnel and keep in small jars. Is the Leather Dye Preparer worth the effort and expense to get it? In any case, I believe I will have to shop for the stuff I use to color it. I already have some clear fixative spray in a can and neutral waxes.

Well if it's an effort, then I'd say it's probably not worth it. There've been times when I opened a bottle and thought it was just acetone anyway!

Joann's Fabrics has the Ceramcoat Acrylics that our friend, the late Robb Barr, suggested one time. Comes in many many colors.

Again, I'll repeat go thin and build up. The reason is a thicker coat seems more likely to peel.

I'm sure not a chemist, and I just suppose this from years of seeing color peel or crack off of leather,

but I think the diluted liquid molecules bond better, whether with the "tooth" or the leather fibers.

Good Luck with your lesson.

Post a picture,

Paul

No, I'm going to do it. I'm extremely DIY. Is acetone basically as good as the prep stuff I'd get at a shoe repair store? Is the idea to break down the gloss coating or do I want to remove almost all of the pink stuff?

I've worked with leather from time to time for many years, made my own belts, affixed many a grommet, etc. I have a special problem at the moment. I bought my first eReader last night online. It's used, looks perfect in every way for me except for one thing -- it's a Kindle Keyboard 3G, and with it comes a lighted leather case. I'm a male, very masculine, and this case is hot pink! These cases come in at least seven different colors and any of them would have been fine with me except pink:

Hot pink leather case

I think the color is just on the outside. Is there some way I can change the color without making a mess of the case? Maybe spray paint it? Maybe do something to give tooth to the leather (I assume it's got a glossy plastic-like sheen to it) and apply a stain of some kind. I have some things for leather including black dye, a variety of shoe polishes and leather polishes, cleaners, etc. I'm generally very handy, have a tool/workroom, have a fair variety of handy substances and gadgets.

Like I say, I don't want to make a mess of it. I have nothing to experiment on. I'd like whatever I do to work reasonably well! Thanks for your help and suggestions.

evillaugh.gifI'm sorry Muse, I came in here to see if I could get some info for a cheap bridle (and I DON'T mean inexpensive) I'm painting and I went and saw that case and I don't think your first two options will work. That is the uh pinkest pink I've ever seen and would love to see it when you're finished with it. Cheryl

evillaugh.gifI'm sorry Muse, I came in here to see if I could get some info for a cheap bridle (and I DON'T mean inexpensive) I'm painting and I went and saw that case and I don't think your first two options will work. That is the uh pinkest pink I've ever seen and would love to see it when you're finished with it. Cheryl

Ah, you get to ride horses, lucky girl. My dental hygienist does that, has her own mount(s).

Dan

Ah, you get to ride horses, lucky girl. My dental hygienist does that, has her own mount(s).

Dan

Yes, Sienna keeps me sane in this insane world....plus being my model for tack I'm working on. I think it was Winston Churchill that said, 'the outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.' Very true, and I am very lucky. Cheryl

<---------------------- See that guitar? I bought it used from a 6' tall, Mountain Man looking guy who used it in a punk band. LOL He also had a sparkly hot pink "rock candy" LP he tried to sell me.

Anyway. Regarding leather preparer and deglazers. Found some here at Dharma. They are the least expensive I've found for dyes and leather finishes and such. Shipping can be spendy though so if you need dye get yours there too.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/10816310-AA.shtml

Hot pink leather case

Edited by Sylvia

Next morning the hardware in the case broke (a copper tab broke off that makes contact with the e reader). I contacted Amazon and they said it didn't come with a warranty. I tried to fix it (solder iron, propane torch, stainless steel wire, a drill, glue). My fix failed (the light wouldn't work). I then discover that there was a warranty but it didn't transfer to the new owner (me). I started looking for a replacement and asked for suggestions at www.kindleboards.com, and all I got was 3 people saying I should contact Kindle Support and ask there for relief (I'd only talked to Amazon, not Kindle support). They are sending me a replacement, free. I asked if I could change the color from the hot pink and they let me pick my color, which I decided would be steel blue. Problem solved!

Next morning the hardware in the case broke (a copper tab broke off that makes contact with the e reader). I contacted Amazon and they said it didn't come with a warranty. I tried to fix it (solder iron, propane torch, stainless steel wire, a drill, glue). My fix failed (the light wouldn't work). I then discover that there was a warranty but it didn't transfer to the new owner (me). I started looking for a replacement and asked for suggestions at www.kindleboards.com, and all I got was 3 people saying I should contact Kindle Support and ask there for relief (I'd only talked to Amazon, not Kindle support). They are sending me a replacement, free. I asked if I could change the color from the hot pink and they let me pick my color, which I decided would be steel blue. Problem solved!

That's awesome! Steel Blue is much more manly. Congrats!