Sign in to follow this  
chouinardragon

How much will you pay for this W. Rose knife?

Are you asking what it is worth? I don't have an answer for that, but wanted to make sure of the question.

I will give you 50.00 for it

Tim Worley

Tk-Leather

I don't own this knife.I found this on a vintage tools website for $70.

I don't know if this one worth $70 and if it's usable.

Well it's hard to really tell wether it is hand forged and well tempered, only really using it would tell you that.

However, It does seem to be aged, given the state of the sheath.

And well used given the state of the right edge being very nearly straight.

The semi deep pitting can either show that it was well stored but left idle fora long time or that it was stored badly for short amount of time allowing rust to settle in. Either way rust has been removed quite obviously and the pitting will never really come out without reducing the entire edge down a lot.

It looks to be a fairly thin edge so I lean towards older with slow rust/patina build up. the pitting will get in the way of perfect sharpening so it matters more wether you can deal with that fact.

70 Dollars, £45

Not for me, if I saw it on a vintage antique stall, I would offer £20 for it. And either get a mostly usable blade or keep looking.

This knife would be fantastic cleaned and sharpened. I have an old Rose knife and love it. It's the first I reach for. Having said that, I probably wouldn't pay 70 for it. 40-50 should be about right. I think the "straight" edge that 8th saw on the right side was a glare from the light as I can still see the full curvature of the blade. Can you call them and try to negotiate?

I just worte to them asking if I could have it for $45. Let's see

I also found a W Rose for $120 and it looks good. I'll attach the photo later when I get home.

Without being able to handle it and look it over.....assuming that the steel is in as good a condition as it appears....the handle is tight and not cracked....it is in my humble opinion worth much more than $70. I have one excatly like it that I bought from Bob Douglas and I paid a LOT more than that for it and I wouldn't sell it...period. This knife is a hundred years old (I believe) and if I was looking for that size in a Rose again I would snap it up. I think that Douglas would knock the shoulder off...clean it up and sharpen it and sell it for $150.....or more....

Bobby

I sold a couple of Rose knifes on ebay last year and sold one for $45.00 ond the other for around 25.00 depends on what shape it is in. The one you have pictured I would offer arond 30 to 40 dollars. It looks well worn and has seen its better days.but sometimes you just have to have it . I my self would wait to find a better one. It will come along ,you just have to have patience. Gary