Sign in to follow this  
golffan

Kydex

Hey so I'm new to the leather working thing, though I've read a fair amount so between that and just thinking things out I have progressed nicely.

I came across Kydex online the other day (I've never seen/touched it in person) and was just wondering if its something that you can sew/attach leather to? I've seen what appears to be higher end (at least in price terms) leather covers for things like iPhones/iPods/etc that cover the back and mold up to the front just enough to grip around the edges so it stays on but gives you full screen access and was wondering if they [companies making the cases] were using kydex then wet forming and attaching the leather to the kydex? From what I have seen/felt it seems like its a pretty rigid material under the leather that has a bit of pliability the Kydex appears to have a couple video tutorials I've seen on it.

So I guess the two questions I have would be:

-Can you sew/attach leather to kydex?

-Would it be a good way to make a mold to form an iPhone case?

Thanks for your time everyone.

(And please forgive me if this sounds like a moron wrote it, I wanted to get in all the details but being new I'm not always sure what info is actually needed for stuff like this.)

Edited by golffan

I have used a bit of Kydex and it's essentially heat moldable ABS plastic. It comes in various thicknesses from folks like Springfield Leather. Obviously, the thinner material will be easier to mold to smaller tighter shapes. Leather can be adhered to it with any strong adhesive. Kydex can also be cut, sanded, drilled, punched, etc. which would allow you to sew/stitch/lace to it but if sewing, you'll either need to pre-drill the holes (punching would leave a crown on the exit side) or use a machine strong enough to punch through thicker materials.

Little known fact, if you contact Springfield Leather, they will send you up to two free samples of Kydex (about 9" x 4" in size) to try out. I believe you can also request it via their website. I don't know if an order is required to get the samples, I was placing an order when I figured it out. I've since picked up a sheet of each size as it works well for making custom brackets and such as well.

Here's a picture of Kydex used with 1/8" aluminum in a custom bracket I made to grab onto 1/2" round chrome bar:

230025_1851483060177_1633777317_1848773_3916668_n-1.jpg

Kydex is neat stuff and certainly something useful in leatherworking. Heat it up and it easily molds and quickly hardens to the shape you need. It's fairly strong as well. I used a piece to make a belt hook for an IWB holster and it held up very well.

It's too hard to punch through with an awl, but you can drill holes through it and either sew or rivet it to your material. If you're using it just to strengthen an opening, you can just sew around it.

If you do a search on the web, you should be able to find some instructions on working with Kydex. Get a sample or buy a small piece and try it out.