mrtreat32

Sewing Clam Help.

New to leather working and ordered a vergez sewing clam. I chose that style of clamp because from pictures online it appeared to me like it would be more comfortable to use than the western style pony clamps. Before this I have never used either so I have no hands on experience with a stitching pony.

Also thought the angle would allow me to watch tv while sewing without obstructing the view! :rofl:

I have just started to work on my first few projects and Im fairly pleased with how my stitches are turing out for a beginner but the back side is looking a bit all over the place. Does anyone have any tips or pointers on using a sewing clam? The angle doesn't allow you to see the backside of the piece while you are working so its very hard to get the holes punched straight through. I know this style of clam has been around a long time and I believe Hermes uses this style so there must be some advantage to it. I would consider maybe cutting the bottom off a foot or so which would allow me to place it in a more vertical position.

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

i've tried the way hermes workers stitch and its hard to stitch it properly with it sat on your lap. If you get it right that way its easier because you can easily see the front hole impressions.

I like the pony the best as I tried both, so I made my pony to fit me and the way I so, but my .02 is stitching and watching TV doesn't mix well at least for me as I saddle stitch most everything. Again just my .02. Good luck

For stitching in a chair.....you might want to look at a stitching pony or check out

grandpas pastime products. Google him.

New to leather working and ordered a vergez sewing clam. I chose that style of clamp because from pictures online it appeared to me like it would be more comfortable to use than the western style pony clamps. Before this I have never used either so I have no hands on experience with a stitching pony.

Also thought the angle would allow me to watch tv while sewing without obstructing the view! :rofl:

I have just started to work on my first few projects and Im fairly pleased with how my stitches are turing out for a beginner but the back side is looking a bit all over the place. Does anyone have any tips or pointers on using a sewing clam? The angle doesn't allow you to see the backside of the piece while you are working so its very hard to get the holes punched straight through. I know this style of clam has been around a long time and I believe Hermes uses this style so there must be some advantage to it. I would consider maybe cutting the bottom off a foot or so which would allow me to place it in a more vertical position.

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated

The advantage to the angled clamp is speed, you don't have to keep moving your head about, the entry side is already in front of you.

Having to check the backside stitching is just down to lack of practice, you are not going in at the same angle every time

Downsides to the angled clamp are it can get tiring on large pieces (clamping force is your thigh ) & its not as stable as some others.

The swiss one Walter uses overcomes these downsides while still having having the piece angled, but its extremely expensive new.

BTW, dont chop up the angled clamp & try using is vertically, you would have to squeeze your legs together to use it, thats not going to work well

I have a Bldanchard clamp that has had a wooden screw added to be able to use it upright. No leg pressure is needed. I really never use it as I use the upright self sprung styles.

I agree with the above poster that the issue is with not going in the leather the same with every awl push. That is a skill to be developed as well as cord tension and other techniques that must habitually become repeatable.

I use a Fred Moreau Clam and had him add a locking mechanism for me. This works great. To deal with the extra length I use a height adjustable kitchen stool to sit myself on.

I'm very happy with this setup it's very versatile, I can adjust the angle of the clam to keep the work vertical and adjust working height using the stool depending on what I'm working on.

Cheers

Zip

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have started using a chair in my kitchen that swivels to different heights and it has made it a lot easier. The length of the clam requires you to sit a bit higher to get the correct angle (a bit more vertical but still slanted) At least that is whats working a bit better for me

Really bummed though! Was using it for just the second or third time at my kitchen stool and when putting my awl down the clam slipped and hit the floor. Didnt think anything at first but when I went to resume sewing the jaw wasnt holding the project as tight. I took a closer look and it had developed a crack down the side! I think I can maybe repair it somewhat but annoyed that a $200 clam would be so fragile with basic use.

I contacted fineleatherworking where I made the purchase online it to see if they offer any type of warranty before I attempt a fix myself!

What is the "Swiss one" ? curious to see a picture.