JRB

What Tools Are Needed

Just for fun I would like to take a shot at making an IWB or OWB holster. In browsing thru threads here it looks like there is a wealth of info on how to make a holster so I think I can find all the how tos here.

What are the must have tools for starting out? Where is the best place to pick up supplies & equipment. Can you get a package of tools as a "starter kit"?

First off, Welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place.

Keep reading the threads, and you'll see all the things people use to make holsters.

For a basic holster the list includes:

egg eye harness needles and waxed thread

edging tools

stitch marker and awl if hand sewing

good cutting knives (rotary/scissors/box knives. etc.)

snaps, snap setters

oil/dye/finishes

molding tools...practically anything to press the leather into shape from plastic bone folders to homemade

If you are going to tool/carve/stamp, there are basic kits to buy from the vendors, from Tandy to the high end toolmakers .

Good luck, and I'm sure more people will jump in with advice.

I too am interested in this. I tried searching Tandy's site for the egg eye harness needles, but I couldn't find that. I have the rest of the components I think I need to get started. Can you provide a link or description as to what these needles are?

Just wanted to add that tandy has there pro leatherworker tool set on sale right now for $200. Its a pretty good starter set if you dont have anything at all.

Just for fun I would like to take a shot at making an IWB or OWB holster. In browsing thru threads here it looks like there is a wealth of info on how to make a holster so I think I can find all the how tos here.

What are the must have tools for starting out? Where is the best place to pick up supplies & equipment. Can you get a package of tools as a "starter kit"?

I could do this for you but I'm lazy :coffeecomp: and if you do it you may pick-up another tip or find something you missed if you have already looked at this link. This is just one way to build a holster and it's pretty thorough. John Henry was Johanna's late husband and he was a world class leather-smith. As you go through it make notes of the individual tools that are needed for the task he describes. You'll end up with a pretty good start tool list when you're done.

http://www.leatherworker.net/HolsterHenry.htm

You might do the same thing with the tutorial that mattsh put together for us. mattsh's is pinned at the top of this sector of the forum. It's an excellent piece of work.

Welcome to the biggest and best bunch of leather-workers in the world! These guys and gals are great. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Everytime I come over here I learn something from these guys.

Good luck with your gun leather.

~Bill

The pro leather kit from Tandy looks like what I'm looking for. Wish it had a list of what came w/it.

Do you need a burnishing wheel/tool?

PS - My first attempt will be for a K frame revolver.

The boning tool that comes with the kit has a burnishing half wheel on the end of it. Basically you get from looking at the picture and from what I remember (thats what I got about a year ago, in my case should of just gotten the ultimate workshop)

Plastic boning/burnishing tool

strap cutter (wood)

utlity knife

hammer (rawhide)

single hole punch

wheel holepunch

set of mini and maxi individual punches

compass

sheers

safety skiver

rivet/snap setting kit

stitching slot punches (multi and single)

edge beveler

stiching groover tool

awl with mutlipe blades

granite slab

rubber mat

I think that pretty much somes it up. I could have missed something but eh.

There are some things you may not use but for the most part I pretty much used all of it and got alot more but I do alot of different stuff. Thing is you will need needles and stuff like that along with thread and such.

I got started with this:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...number=11189-00

11189-00-L.JPG

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...?number=9051-01

Add a 7/8oz shoulder of veg tan

9051-01-L.JPG

...a utility knife...I use like the orange one on the left there

tg-01063700.jpg

That's all you need...the hardware, dye, and finish is optional :thumbsup:

Edited by Shorts

Thanks for the advice all! My wife and i went down and picked out a bunch of tools and a few books from the research I've been doing. She is making me wait for Christmas and my birthday though. The anticipation is killing me! :begging:

Thanks for all the help and advice you ALL render! I too have been lurking about this site gathering info as I mentally prepare for a first project. Folks on this site are universally generous in their camaraderie. So, again thanks. :rockon:

I went w/the Pro Leather Kit from Tandy. It had about everything I'll need except needles, waxed thread & cement. I plan to make some additional boning tools and may eventually pick up some carving stuff. But keepin' it simple for now!