Hi All,

Just had a report back from a customer that the wristband I made has faded quite a bit over just a few months. :censored2:

I used the Tandy Eco Dyes "Eve Blue" and "Deep Violet" (which I understand from browsing the forum here were recalled for fade reasons back in 2008)...

I sealed with resolene (she hasnt had any dye come off on her skin, so it does appear to be a UV light caused fade..... this is further confirmed by the fact my stock pieces of the same age have not faded, but they are stored in a suitcase).

I started using resolene to be more customer friendly, by avoiding the need for them to rewax proucts.

Im not sure what to do at present my options seem to be:-

A:-

If the new Eco Pro range are not causing these issues I will just try to mix colours from that range... though Im doubting I will get the zing of "deep purple" out of mixing those primaries.

B:-

Can anyone recommend a better sealant (with UV protection in it maybe).

She asked me if items could be recoloured; as far as Im aware this is impossible after the finish has gone on... unless one of you guys knows a trick!

Edited by Heligan

I'm pretty new to finishing, but I would think that you could strip the final finish off and to a recolor that way. I have heard nothing but bad things about the Eco products outside of people who were paid by Tandy. But, I don't want to say change to something else because I really don't know enough to say that. I will say that I've used some Eco Flo products and they were very difficult to work with and made me not want to dye things. Now that I have some Fiebings my work is able to really pop and look the way I imagine it.

Since they were recalled in the past because of that, is it possible you have a batch that never made it back? Is it something you could return and get a fresh supply?