Sign in to follow this  
russell

biker leather patterns

anybody know where i can find patterns for chaps and vests for bikers

Russell, what I did originally to get the pattern for my "Biker" style vest, was to take an old shirt (denom preferably) have someone wear it and with a felt marker draw out the outline of what I wanted it to look like. Then I un-stitched the whole shirt and cut the pieces where I had marked. From there I transfered the cut shirt to poster board paper. Before cutting the poster board, I used a "French Curve" to make all the edges the same curve and such.

This gave me a basic pattern that was a size 42, from there as needed I just add or subtract from the pattern under the arms to make bigger or smaller vests.

I did the same thing for my chap pattern with an old pair of Levi's.

Also, I have a vest making tutoril here on the forum that may be of some help to you in seeing how the pattern and pieces to construct a vest are designed and layed out. It is under "Show Off" and the thread is "Custom Vest".

Any questions, feel free to Pm me or just ask here.

Ken

thanks beaverslayer thats a great idea will give it a try

On the Chaps, Beaver's idea was a good one. On the first pair I made, I got the construction detail from another pair I had, then made the pattern in poster board. Now I can just add the inches Ineed for any pair by adding or subtracting from my pattern, by taping a another piece to the pattern. My pattern can be made to fit even the fattest dudes and big thigh ladies.

My vest patern I got from a fabric store, it was a western style, but made with a satin back. I discarded the pattern back and made my own. I remade the pattern out of poster board. On a biker vest, the back is pretty much the same as the front size with snaps closed.

Instead of closing ther sides when your sewing the whole assebly, when you sew leave them open, sewing down the side of each (when it's turned inside out) If you leave the back of the neck open, you can pull the whole thing right side out from there.

Then just grommet the sides for laces. You can go the extra mile like Beaver did and put a gusset in the sides, but most biker vests are made without them.

tandy leather sells pattern pack from toolbags to saddle bags and vests to chaps.just modifiy them to your needs..

Most biker vest are basically a western style, or a denim jacket style with the sleeves removed.

For chaps, I make them along the same lines as show chaps for horse folk. They fit better and cover more. The commecial biker chaps are too open in the front and that's not an area I care to be getting cold when I ride, of course I ride when there's still snow on the ground so I don't guess it makes much difference.

I re-did a pair my brother had made for horse riding. They were a full zipped style but everything was made of the same hide. I tooled the belt tops and counters to make it look like they were buckle type. He wares them on his Gold Wing and horse or bike he gets lots of comments.GH

Does anybody have a picture of their patterns they dont mind showing

Jimmy, if you click here you will see the tutorial I did on making a vest, it has pics of one of my patterns.

Ken