DoubleC

Calling All Katasses, It's Started

Mike you may be sorry you offered to help me because I got my bag of exotic scraps a few minutes ago and I tried to go through it, but it creeped me out so much I put it back in the bag and in a cabinet where I didn't even have to look at it. Now I feel like I have things crawling all over me. I'm trying to get the bag back out, and sort it to the best of my ability since I don't know what any of these things are except for two big ugly snakes and once I sort it, I'll put pictures on here so I can get some help identifying what is what, and maybe you or others too, I don't mean that, can help me pick out what might be easy to cut and sew for a first project. Because the strap can be dyed around the color and type I use.

Can you just tell me what the big, blue/green/white rubbery stuff is? I'm not one of those 'eek it's a mouse' types, but this really did creep me out.

I had to call SLC about something else and they said this was mostly lizard so I've regained my composure. I will have some pictures up in a few. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

OK any help anyone can give me on the creepy crawlies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cheryl

More...and can you tell me how hard it is to sew these critters? I'm seriously people I really do appreciate it. I bit off a lot this time, maybe more than I can chew. Cheryl

And more.....

It's better to try and then ask questions. A major portion of the learning experience starts with the phrase " Here is what I did" Not, "What should I do"

Well yes, then there is always that, LOL. Thanks guy, Cheryl

looks like Fish, Snake and Lizard to me.

Here's a site with exotic leathers.... maybe you can compare your stuff with what they have?

http://www.exoticleather.biz/index.html

Oh thank you Sylvia. I had no idea what to do. Cheryl

I'm seeing quite a bit of lizard. The zebra striped thing with all the green leathers looks like printed stingray. The very first picture you've posted...maybe shark?

I'm seeing quite a bit of lizard. The zebra striped thing with all the green leathers looks like printed stingray. The very first picture you've posted...maybe shark?

SLC told me it was mostly lizard. You can sew it like regular leather can't you? Without all the sanding and masks etc? c

Lizard yes, and if that other stuff is shark, yes, as long as the rubber doesn't hang up on the sewing foot.

Stingray--that stuff is the problem, but you can cut it with tin snips and use it as an inlay piece behind a veg leather window. Sanding is NOT required unless there is an exposed edge. That stuff is sharp!

Lizard yes, and if that other stuff is shark, yes, as long as the rubber doesn't hang up on the sewing foot.

Stingray--that stuff is the problem, but you can cut it with tin snips and use it as an inlay piece behind a veg leather window. Sanding is NOT required unless there is an exposed edge. That stuff is sharp!

Well I just won't use that piece, or the few pieces I thought were frog, LOL. I won't use anything green, no wait, maybe I won't use anything, LOL. I got to get some sleep this year sometime

I didn't see any frog in those pictures?

I thought the green, orangy, white and black stripped was frog. I don't know any of these WinterBear. Seriously, i thought the big piece of brown was cow :-)

Nope. It's scaly, so not a frog. Frog has a really weird texture too, rubbery and usually warty. I don't see a thing in those pictures that's warty.

No remember something feeling rubbery, but nothing warty. Well this is cool, as long as i stay away from the green, I can inlay up a storm. How fun is that? I am going to try and keep it subdued on this one though, was thinking maybe some of the burgundy/brownish lizard, easy to match up a dye or tooling and dye to that. The little piece of red is mine, all mine, LOL. Then again that snake would look good with vinegaroon. When I figure out a design then it'll be easier to pick because I liked the blacks too, well and, well anyway I just think it's going to be fun. I have an antiqued SP 3 piece belt buckle set for it too. I still have some of that off white calf-skin from way back when I can line it with where I put the foam. Using that, and vinegaroon and the black/white snake and silver trim would look pretty sharp if i could figure out what to do with the thin strap. Maybe make blue slit snake eyes from the blue lizard and dye it blue. NOT. something else, LOL.

I thought the green, orangy, white and black stripped was frog. I don't know any of these WinterBear. Seriously, i thought the big piece of brown was cow :-)

Most of it is lizard and striped is printed lizard the brown I believe is elephant. Do you have any interest in selling the piece of red lizard?

If you read above I said....

The little piece of red is mine, all mine, LOL.

But I don't mind helping someone out because so many people have helped me. And I'm sure there will be more red lizard down the line. I have no idea what it's worth so just PM me with an offer and your address. Or if you need a bigger piece you could call SLC and they'll get you one I'm sure, those folks are great to work with. Cheryl.

I agree with Winterbear. It is all lizzard with three exceptions.

The first picture of brown leather is elephant. I had a pair of boots made out of elephant once. It is very durable leather.

The black and white striped stuff looks like stingray. It is hard to be certain without handling it.

I wish I knew snakes better so I could tell you what kind of snake that is from.

I am attaching pics of stingray (black), frog (brown) and shark (brown).

Hope this helps :)

post-28005-045816400 1336575660_thumb.jp

post-28005-063107700 1336575667_thumb.jp

post-28005-017286800 1336575675_thumb.jp

post-28005-043898400 1336576074_thumb.jp

post-28005-002310300 1336576081_thumb.jp

That's a great help, thanks so much. I know which picture is the shark I'm almost certain because it felt sharp handling it. Or is it the stingray that's sharp? Now I've confused myself all over again, but intend to copy and paste all of this before I start anyway. I think this is going to be so much fun, especially with all of you being so much help. Cheryl

The very first picture is most definitely elephant. I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but the one with the tag attached is snake. The zebra looks like stingray to me also.

Elephant is my favorite and very easy to work with. lizard is like armor but easy to work with...never have done anything with snake or stingray yet. I have some ostrich scraps from them that I haven't figured out how to work yet. Everything else I can attach to a layer of cowhide and get a nice burnished edge...not so with the ostrich.

Edited by markush

I thought that piece was snake, and even asked Katass if he thought I could pull off using that as a snake SHAPED inlay and having the least chance of lining it up with tooled and already dyed fangs. I'm full of ideas just wish I was full of skills since this will be my first guitar strap and inlay. If elephant is that easy to work with, I might go that way too. I have a lot of mixed emotions about even having that cite certificates or not. I have problems because of my attention span being presented with too many options, seriously. It's becoming overwhelming.

Example: just went and checked my mail, thought popped in my head so walked away and forgot I was answering this. Thanks for your help Mark. Cheryl

OK any help anyone can give me on the creepy crawlies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cheryl

The orangish brown leather there is Elephant

Yup, finally know that and found someone to take it off my hands. Don't wanna use elephant....just a thing with me. but throwing it away wouldn't bring back the elephant so......Cheryl