JRCHolsters

My First Sloan/keith Style Holster

I just wanted to share this Sloan/Keith style holster and rig I just made for a good customer. It is dark saddle tan Horsehide. Unlike to original, this uses boning and a grommet, as opposed to a tensioning welt. Hope you enjoy.

img_9435.jpg

img_9436.jpg

img_9438.jpg

img_9437.jpg

img_9439.jpg

That is nice looking!!! Love the double stitch and the pattern in the horse hide.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Do you mind if I borrow that speed loader pouch design?

Thanks for the compliments. I may have to make on of these for myself B)

You certainly can use the pattern. Would you like me to take a pic and PM it to you?

Quite nice. 70b0i0.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! The coloring is quite unique and simply awesome. Maybe someday I can achieve excellence such as this.

Thanks for the compliments. I may have to make on of these for myself B)

You certainly can use the pattern. Would you like me to take a pic and PM it to you?

Yes, if you don't mind. I've been searching for an easy to make speed loader pouch that doesn't require excessive molding.

No problem, I will shoot it over to you in the morning sometime.

Absolutely beautiful! The coloring is quite unique and simply awesome. Maybe someday I can achieve excellence such as this.

Thanks so much. I picked out the horsehide pieces that had the most grain. Since it is so tight, the dyes create more interesting color.

Incidentally, I'm about 3/4 of the way done with a crossdraw rig for a Judge 6"...I'm using horse w/ 4oz cow as a liner. I hope I can get that much marbling out of mine. The real challenge was making a belt for a 48" waist....the horse butts aren't that long!

Awesome...the grain is incredible...it looks almost like snakewood...great color choice for that...how difficult was it to mold and bone that horsehide?...i can never get it wet enough to really get it in the nooks and crannies....

Incidentally, I'm about 3/4 of the way done with a crossdraw rig for a Judge 6"...I'm using horse w/ 4oz cow as a liner. I hope I can get that much marbling out of mine. The real challenge was making a belt for a 48" waist....the horse butts aren't that long!

I find about half of the hides I get have great marbling. I also try to order about 30% of the hides as long as I can get. Usually takes a lot of searching to find what I need belt wise. Somehow I have managed to do a couple of 50" belts, but luckily that is not the norm.

Awesome...the grain is incredible...it looks almost like snakewood...great color choice for that...how difficult was it to mold and bone that horsehide?...i can never get it wet enough to really get it in the nooks and crannies....

Thanks! I find that you really have to get Horsehide soaked to mold it. Probably have to soak it 2-3 times longer than regular leather. I also only get hard rolled hides, so that make for particulary dense fibers. The one thing I can say from my experience, you can get pretty aggresive with horsehide and not get the same burnishing you would get with cowhide. Even if you do, with all of the marbling and color variation, it isn't quite as noticable. Also, I do a light dye before I mold the holsters, then I do a second coat after the molded holster is dry. This gives a spectacular depth of color, especially if your mixing colors like Cordovan and Burgundy. Hope this helps you out.

Wow Love the grain in the horse hide, VERY GOOD WORK!