Josh Ashman

Saddle Scabbard And Full Flap Holster

Here are a few things I got finished this week that I thought turned out pretty well. The holster is 8 oz HO and the scabbard is leftover HO 16 oz skirting cut from the bottom, the end drops off pretty light, maybe around 8 oz and just like you'd think belly leather would be :-) . Both were finished with several light coats of NF oil and lots of time in the sun. The holster got a coat of 50/50 M&G/water and the scabbard got a liberal coat of Aussie wax.

Thanks for looking!

Josh

post-19070-0-86465500-1382118561_thumb.jpost-19070-0-50405400-1382118576_thumb.jpost-19070-0-90623800-1382118592_thumb.jpost-19070-0-34265500-1382118610_thumb.jpost-19070-0-04109100-1382118620_thumb.j

I like both, but I really like the saddle scabbard. Sweet gun, btw..

Nice work Josh.

Fantastic work, the tooling/stamping is very crisp.

Great looking both of them. Always love some nice suntanned HO leather.

I once again pull my hat, Josh! Impressive work!

If my life would depend on finding something to criticize, then it would be the square shape of the padding of the holster’s snap. But who am I to shoot my mouth off, considering the fact that I have yet to produce a piece of comparable quality!

By the way, nice flesh side! ;)

Beautiful work!!

Great work, only suggestion is maybe changing out the snap for a good quality, large riveted sam brown stud. Snaps will go bad and that is going to be a major problem down the road replacing that one. Studs were used on military holsters and hardware I know of from early 1860's clear through 1900's. Research shows they only changed because it was cheaper to produce with the snaps. The original artifacts that I have seen from the civil war some 150 years old the stud system is still as good today as it was coming off the makers bench. I am working on a couple of scabbards and will post them when I get done.

Very good point. Snaps rust very quickly!

Thank you all for the kind words and fine suggestions!

LederRudi, your observation about the snap shield or whatever you want to call it is spot on. After it was done I had wished I'd done it a little different myself.

Bobby, sound advise as always. I was about ready to install a stud when I opted for the snap. I have a few studs in my hardware bin but I haven't ever put one on. I was thinking about setting it with a domed spot setter with a piece of chap leather between the tool and the top of the stud. Do you think that would work? how do you set them? Doubts about how to set the stud are most of why I went with the snap, there is no question the stud would have looked and worked better. That said, I have had decent luck with my snaps, I have a fair amount of holsters, multi tool cases, phone cases, etc that have been in regular use for years by folks who tend to use things hard and only a few have ever came back for a new snap.

Thanks again for looking!

Josh

Edited by Josh Ashman

I have a setter that I picked up for a couple of dollars shown below. I have also set them with out the setter. I just back the rivet with metal and carefully pound the stud down onto the rivet usually in tight places that the setter can't get into. I have also used the technique that you have suggested. I just like the stud personally as I have gotten in a lot of repairs of holsters that belonged to dad, grandpa or other family members with sentimental value where snaps have failed because of years of use. I know that your holsters will be around for many generations of use.

post-7445-0-46136400-1382366227_thumb.jp

Thanks Bobby, considering the life span of a well made holster you're even more right! I'll stop being a chicken and try new and better things! :cowboy:

Thanks HiPowered, the stamp is a Craftool X511 that I've had for quite a while. It's stamped USA so that might help date it a little bit. Tandy still has them in their catalog and they range from $6 to $10 dollars depending on whether you're in their special club.

Best regards,

Josh

Josh, you've come a long way in a relatively short time!

Excellent work!

Joel