chriscraft

New To Bike Seats

So I took the plunge and went out and purchased a nice sewing machine for my leather seats. My tooling has improved and still getting better with every hour spent swinging the maul. Just wanted to post this latest seat build as I'm having trouble finding similar tooling. It's a vintage pin-up style Girl. The face is only 3/4" so it's difficult to get good detail. I'm self taught so I'm sure I'll find a way. What's everyone else doing when tooling small faces? Chris

post-38453-0-74172900-1372261404_thumb.j

I have nothing to offer in terms of help, but that tooling is ouit of this world! Well done!

looks great man

Thanks, the guy that I'm making this seat for decided he wants it black. So here it is, just finished it 30 minutes ago.

post-38453-0-69599800-1372281451_thumb.j

THAT LOOKS GREAT! DYE IT LACE IT CALL IT A DAY!

That is great looking, I would have loved to seen it dyed and antiqued I think it would have reqlly popped, but the customer rules. It is an excellent looking seat in black also. Good work

David

Yeah I wanted to try that antiqued look but I'm still new at this and its difficult to convince others when you haven't done it yet. In the next few weeks I'll have to make one for myself and try that. I've always liked the pin-up style art and hope to do more of it on leather. Thanks for the kind words, it's only my second seat and the first I've sold.

Looks great, can you post a picture of the molding block you used to form the leather/

Looks great, can you post a picture of the molding block you used to form the leather/

Molding Block, you mean you don't have one of these leather egg plants in your garden......lol

post-38453-0-52116900-1372467399_thumb.j

Okay, here's my molding form. . I found this scrap hardwood table top that looks to be made out of maple. I topped it with a few coats of SPAR polyurethane finish and hope It will last me a while. What are you using?

post-38453-0-70309600-1372476996_thumb.j

Im really really interested in learning how to make seats..can you lead me in the right direction to get started pls....thanks in advance

Rob-B

I see the wooden mold but how are you getting the foam shaped exactly to accept the leather? I would think it would be hard...unless this is applied directly to the pan. Nice job though!

I see the wooden mold but how are you getting the foam shaped exactly to accept the leather? I would think it would be hard...unless this is applied directly to the pan. Nice job though!

I've only done a few seats this way and even though it's not a perfect fit, I feel its close enough for what I'm doing and charging. I do like tooling on the shaped seat backed with my wooden form. Are most tooling leather while its flat then wet forming it to the pan? " Im really really interested in learning how to make seats..can you lead me in the right direction to get started pls....thanks in advance

Rob-B" Rob, I'm so new to this that I'll have to let others guide you in the right direction. Somehow I just insist on learning by trial and error but that's the only way one will start thinking outside the box. Otherwise everything you do will just be a cookie cutter image of someone's work and will never be your own. BTW, I do like doing things the hard way as long as I get better results than most. Chris

Edited by chriscraft

As far as I know everyone tools on the leather flat and molds after. I mold after tooling and I form it over the shaped seat foam. It makes for a perfect fit! Good Luck

As far as I know everyone tools on the leather flat and molds after. I mold after tooling and I form it over the shaped seat foam. It makes for a perfect fit! Good Luck

Do you loose any detail when you wet form after tooling?

Usually there's still enough moisture to mold without wetting again. If not just use enough around the edge to make it form. If you're worried about water stains apply it on the bottom of the leather.

Nice seat!!

Okay, here's my molding form. . I found this scrap hardwood table top that looks to be made out of maple. I topped it with a few coats of SPAR polyurethane finish and hope It will last me a while. What are you using?

I haven't done any seats that are molded, I like what you did with yours, I generally build the flat seats seats that don't have much contour.

The seats I'm making are for vintage bicycles and use a springer undercarriage. I'm only building the seat and attaching original undercarriages that are supplied. I plan to slowly move up to vintage springer type motorcycle solo seats and my 17 y/o son will take over building the current bicycle seats.

post-38453-0-75270500-1373235317_thumb.j

post-38453-0-32418900-1373235321_thumb.j

Here is my basic non tooled seat in black using 4oz veg tan for the top and 8oz on bottom. Stitched with size 346 bonded thread top/bottom. What leather thickness are most using on these custom solo seats?

post-38453-0-36425100-1373235673_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

If you're going to use those weights of leather, I'd put the 8oz on the top and 4oz on the bottom. Are you sewing with a machine or hand?

If you're going to use those weights of leather, I'd put the 8oz on the top and 4oz on the bottom. Are you sewing with a machine or hand?

Just wanted to make the non tooled seat a little softer ride by using 4oz. on top. On my tooled seats I'm using 8-9oz. HO on top. These are being sewn by machine.

Another tooled seat I'm working on. It's not dry yet.

post-38453-0-62946100-1373510322_thumb.j