Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Used Leather splitters

I remember in one of the Shop Talk! magazine a company that specialized in refurbing used tools. They had several pages with pictures of the actual tools, and also a website that was kept updated with what they had in stock. Anyone know the web page for that company?

Thanks,

Marlon

try www.cambell-bosworth.com they should be able to help you. They are located in Texas.

I know about them, but that's not the one I'm looking for. Thanks though.

Marlon

Marlon,

If it was the pages and pages of tools shown in ShopTalk, those were tools and equipment from the publisher, Dan Preston. He has a regular sort of tool sale from his finds. The website for ShopTalk is www.proleptic.net. It is not particularly updated. I tried to buy a tool shown in the magazine. It let me go all the way through the checkout, took all my info, and that was that. I printed off my receipt and waited for said tool to arrive. after a week I called to inquire on shipping. They told me the tool had been previously sold, but they have no way to pull each tool off or flag them as they were sold. Nothing will tell you that on the site. Lesson learned, just call them.

Dr Dan also refers quite often to several other guys who refurbish old tools. Keith Pommer in Worthing, SD is one. The other is Bob Douglas in Sheridan, WY. Shoptalk had an article on Bob a while back. Neither of these guys maintain a website that I know of. I have talked to him once or twice, but not dealt with Keith. He has a good reputation, just didn't have what I was looking for at the time. I have a fair amount of used and some new tools from Bob. Good guy for me to deal with. I have been happy with everything I have got from him. I always get off the phone smarter than I was before when talking to these two guys.

That may be it Bruce, but I don't see any tools under the tool sale link. I do remember a bunch of pages of used tools for sale, I just don't see anything like that on their site.

Marlon

I have a leather splitter for sale.I want 75.00 for it. has some rust, but a good shot of oil and a new blade, or having the blade sharpened would work wonders. it works ok the way it is, but I would reccommend having it sharpened for sure.

<br>

looks like the one pictured.

splitter.bmp

splitter.bmp

Edited by Duke

Proleptic used to have tools on the website quite a bit. Now they seem to have three to four tool sales a year. They have a big one coming up in march or april I believe. Just keep checking the site and be ready to buy cause the good tools don't last long at all. I bought a set of edgers and a set of arch punches from them 3 or 4 yrs ago and for the quality, there is no way you could beat the prices!!!!!!!!!

I remember in one of the Shop Talk! magazine a company that specialized in refurbing used tools. They had several pages with pictures of the actual tools, and also a website that was kept updated with what they had in stock. Anyone know the web page for that company?

Thanks,

Marlon

Douglas tools in Sheridan Wyo has lots of used tools including slitters.

What type splitter are you looking for? One that you pull leather through, manual crank, or motorized? I have a bell knife splitter that will be looking for a new home soon.

Dink

Thanks,

Marlon