Sign in to follow this  
New leathercrafter

Starting To Sell Some Stuff.

Hi, I was wandering if I had to pay taxes on leather wallets,belts etc. I am under 18 so I didn't know if I did or not... thanks in advance!

Hi, I was wandering if I had to pay taxes on leather wallets,belts etc. I am under 18 so I didn't know if I did or not... thanks in advance!

Talk to a CPA. Generally if you make over a certain amount, you'll pay taxes on it. The good thing is you'll factor in all your materials and other cost of goods sold.

Sadly even kids get taxed these days.

Talk to a CPA. Generally if you make over a certain amount, you'll pay taxes on it. The good thing is you'll factor in all your materials and other cost of goods sold.

Sadly even kids get taxed these days.

I paid taxes when I was in high school and that was over 40 years ago! I remember helping friends do the short form too. But that was just our after school part time jobs with a w-2.

Doing taxes for a small business? I think H&R block gets a new customer for that.

To our New leathercrafter, do approach this as a business. Take into account all of your expenses as well as all of your income. Write it all down and take it into the tax preparer. Use the same person your parents do.

Dan

I paid taxes when I was in high school and that was over 40 years ago! I remember helping friends do the short form too. But that was just our after school part time jobs with a w-2.

Doing taxes for a small business? I think H&R block gets a new customer for that.

To our New leathercrafter, do approach this as a business. Take into account all of your expenses as well as all of your income. Write it all down and take it into the tax preparer. Use the same person your parents do.

Dan

I agree. Also save like 33% of your sales to pay sales tax and fed and state taxes. Nothing worse than having to come up with $3k at tax time.

Sylvia and Dan, thank you very much for the information. I will start writing down everything I buy and and sell... again thank you.

I was looking on yahooo and it said if you make less than $5,450 you don't have to pay taxes... is this true?

This can be a very complicated and touchy subject. Technically you should have a business lisence, insurance, city permits and so on. The reality is if you are going to play around a little bit and make a couple hundred in sales you do not need to worry about it. If you are going to get serious and make a lot, it all changes.

As a comparison, if you have a garage sale you are required to pay taxes on that too, most people do not.

Aaron

Electrathon, Yes For now I'm not making that much... under $1,000... but I didn't want to do something that I wasn't supposed too... thank you.

My wife started up a small business last year and she sold less than $600 last year and we had to pay about $50 in taxes.

Damon

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/money-guides/turning-hobby-into-business-means-tax-breaks.aspx

Bank people

http://www.fool.com/personal-finance/taxes/2007/02/22/is-your-hobby-a-business.aspx

double edged sword

If you stick your head out the car window, you will probably get hit in the face with bugs....

Edited by chancey77