kccowboy

Old high back identification

Hello yall,

Im new here, and stumbled across your site when trying to identify an old saddle I picked up to restore. When I seen there was a group of folks doing this I joined up! Anyway, I cant seem to find anything out on the web about this saddle, but I really have no information on it. There is no identifying marks stamped in the saddle anywhere, but there is this plate on the back. I'll attach a picture or two and see if any of you have ever seen it. Im not sure the year or the make of the saddle, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

dsc00027.jpg

dsc00028.jpg

post-12191-125631276377_thumb.jpg

post-12191-125631279616_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell much about the saddle from this picture.

But I would be willing to bet the plate on the back is a belt buckle. Probably put on by a previous owner. I'll bet if you take out the screws and look at the back you could see where they cut off the bail and tongue.

Let me know if I won the bet.

this saddle is a 8 button, full seat, with some swell in the fork, the skirts are the large square plains style, the one rear jockey has been cut to make it round, was square originally. the stirrup leather run outside the fenders, based on these features this saddle will fall between 1910-1925. May be when you remove that buckel it could reveal the maker as they often stamped the cantel. also look at the seat by the hand hole, they often stamped there mark there and on a saddle this old it could be rubbed out, so look closely.

this saddle is a 8 button, full seat, with some swell in the fork, the skirts are the large square plains style, the one rear jockey has been cut to make it round, was square originally. the stirrup leather run outside the fenders, based on these features this saddle will fall between 1910-1925. May be when you remove that buckel it could reveal the maker as they often stamped the cantel. also look at the seat by the hand hole, they often stamped there mark there and on a saddle this old it could be rubbed out, so look closely.

Removed the buckle and nothing there, haven't found any markings on this saddle to identify the maker at all... the seat is completely smooth and no stamp is present there either... Neat old saddle, but I have no idea who made it.

Thanks for the info on age of the saddle though...

I have a saddle similar to this one, but in better shape. The tooling on your saddle is also similar to mine. Mine has a makers stamp on the back of the cantle and on the seat, the latter being harder to read, this is probably where yours was stamped and is now wore off from use. My saddle was made by S.D. Myres and has the original Sweetwater Texas stamp, which places it between late 1800's and 1916 when he moved to El Paso.

Hey KC,

The seat jockeys sure do look like SD Myers to me too. If you do restore it and take it down, Myers often had a paper lable on the bars with the particulars on the saddle. Carlos and I restored one and wrote to Dick Sherer for help with the ID. He's the one who suggested we look for a lable, and sure enough, there it was. Take lots of photos every step of the way, not just for us to see, but to document what you do and help put it back together.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mike

Hey KC,

The seat jockeys sure do look like SD Myers to me too. If you do restore it and take it down, Myers often had a paper lable on the bars with the particulars on the saddle. Carlos and I restored one and wrote to Dick Sherer for help with the ID. He's the one who suggested we look for a lable, and sure enough, there it was. Take lots of photos every step of the way, not just for us to see, but to document what you do and help put it back together.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mike

Ive got it almost all the way down, but havent found a label yet. I been taking ALOT of pictures as I go. I appreciate the help!