GrampaJoel

Saddle Seat Padding ...again

:whistle:

Hello all.

I am in need of some info regarding foam for saddle seat padding.

There aren't any foam suppliers in my local area that I know of ( SOCAL) or can find, I need one.

Does anyone have a foam supplier they could recommended? Or ideas where to look?

Maybe one by internet?

Thanks

Joel

Joel,

Greg shared this some time back. Go to McMaster-Carr's website and look up part # 86375 K134 1/4" plain back quick recovery foam, firmness rating 8, Black 12" x 12" pieces. If you change the last part of the number to K64 you get a 36" x 54" sheet.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Joel, also you can try an auto upholstery shop, I know there are many of those in SOCAL.

Bob

I use sleeping bag ground pads. You can get them at most outdoor stores.

Thanks for the help

gtwister09 & joe59

Bob

I started hitting all the auto upholstery shops and finally got a lead to a supply house.

I eventually got a lead to J & J Auto Fabrics which is a auto upholstery supply house business and it is about 30 miles away from me. They had just the foam type I was after. Thanks for the tip.

Also I got the package you sent . Thanks again for that. But no invoice, and your address was messed up and covered partially by some postage sticky. I'd be happy to reimburse you for your cost.

Again

Thank you friends!

Joel

Joel, glad I could help. Don't worry about the cost, not a big deal. One last tip, like it says in Al's books, pre-forming the cover leather really makes it easier to get a good seat without wrinkles. I use an old tree that I took out of a broken saddle I had lying around here as a form.

Bob

Joel,

Greg shared this some time back. Go to McMaster-Carr's website and look up part # 86375 K134 1/4" plain back quick recovery foam, firmness rating 8, Black 12" x 12" pieces. If you change the last part of the number to K64 you get a 36" x 54" sheet.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

I have been using a 1/4" vinyl/nitrile foam from Weaver Leather #R-310-1/4 in 42"x 56" it sells for $34.95 a sheet, and I am trying to compare it to the McMasters-Carr 36"x54" sheets you mentioned. My problem is I can't get that part number to come up, can you describe the product to me? The stuff I get from Weaver is white, firm, has a smooth finish, and I guess it is "closed cell" . I have fair luck with what I have been useing but I am always looking for better stuff and better methods. Thanks.... Jeff

Jeff,

I just replaced one and I I used cloud crepe from Panhandle Leather. A sheet about 18X36 is $10.25. Its a 1/4 inch thick and was real easy to work withand is pretty firm. It was the first one I have done so I can't compare it to anything but for ten bucks you might want to give it a try.

Thanks,

CW

Ben,

I have been using a 1/4" vinyl/nitrile foam from Weaver Leather #R-310-1/4 in 42"x 56" it sells for $34.95 a sheet, and I am trying to compare it to the McMasters-Carr 36"x54" sheets you mentioned. My problem is I can't get that part number to come up, can you describe the product to me? The stuff I get from Weaver is white, firm, has a smooth finish, and I guess it is "closed cell" . I have fair luck with what I have been useing but I am always looking for better stuff and better methods. Thanks.... Jeff

I agree.......the last half dozen or so inlaid seats I've done, I've used the cloud crepe from Panhandle as well. I like it. JW

I agree.......the last half dozen or so inlaid seats I've done, I've used the cloud crepe from Panhandle as well. I like it. JW

I useed to use a seat foam I was getting from Hadlock Fox tree company, which they no longer can offer. It was 1/8" thick, firm and had cloth on the back of it. I really liked it and so did my customers. I would surely like to find a source for it again. Ken

Jeff,

Quick-Recovery Super-Resilient Polyurethane Foam - Here's the link with part number on McMaster - Carr's website. It is presently on page 3554. The part number is still 86375 K134.

http://www.mcmaster....18/3554/=g3tmez

It is a open cell foam with skin on both sides. It is also called Poron urethane. It was chosen because it is one of the most resilient of foams as well as being suitable for indoor/outdoor uses. . Also select the firm and the one without adhesive backed foam.

Here's the PDF for the page as well.

McMaster-Carr Super Resilient Foam for Saddle Seats 3554.pdf

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Ben, I got some of that McMaster Carr pad to try last year. It was way too soft to suit me, and I didn't use it. Everyone has their own preferences to be sure, but I like a very firm pad in my inlays. JW

JW,

Thanks! They also have it up to very firm as well. I don't know if you looked at their firmness ratings on page 3550 (at the bottom) but it shows a car seat at 5, a mattress at 8, tennis ball at 10 and so on. Extra firm and very firm go into cups and life preservers. They also have the listings for the various foams that show their recovery and resistances to weather and oil as Excellent, Good and Fair that could aid in the selection. I know that Greg did like the 8 psi version of the foam. You can also pick up a Firmness Rating Selector Pack in order to determine what you like as well on that same page.

Regards,

Ben

Ben....yes sir. It was the #8 firmness rating that I tried. It was too soft for me.................different preferences for different folks. JW

I've been using the Weaver saddle seat foam, but I generally find that 1/4" just isn't quite thick enough for inlays. So, I usually have to double it or use a thinner piece of foam on top of it. Think I'll try Panhandle, though. thanks for the tip.

Unless my math is way off, it looks like McMaster is about 4 times as expensive, and open cell foam will suck up moisture.- Not good for a saddle seat, it seems to me. Is that Panhandle crepe open or closed cell?

I was only conveying information and not defending any particular seat foam or vendor.

Brent...I have to agree on their costs because I buy almost nothing from McMaster-Carr due to their prices. Others sharing what they like is what this is supposed to be about. Having the ability to make comparisons like JW is worth its weight in gold. There are other factors that impact the weather resistance other than open or closed cell. The skins are another technical aspect that impacts it. As stated below they do provide a scientific means of measuring firmness, recovery from compression and weather resistance. Gum and crepe are usually at the fair end of weather resistance. However they are generally covered in a seat application so ozone, sunlight and such have a limited impact on them which are factors in determining weather resistance.

JW....You are so correct. I never tried the material but I would be interested in knowing what the actual PSI hardness is for the crepe as well. From your statement of "very firm" it appears as though you like something that has the same consistency as styrofoam cups. As far as McMaster-Carr they do provide an EXCELLENT analysis of types of foams, uses and features so that you people can do their own analysis/decision. They also provide actual sample packs that have actual data behind them as well as providing you with a means of the "feels right" factor.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

The foam I ended up using is a white closed cell foam. It's firm enough that it doesn't bottom out. I did select a 1/2" thickness though. I have tested many foams and chose the one I did because of it's firmness and it's cushion effect.

All the open cell foams I tested just bottomed out when I sat on them. Even the one inch ones. So I started looking at closed cell foams until I found one that felt nice to sit AND bounce on without bottoming out. It seems like every saddle brought in for seat foam repairs that I get have a scant 1/16" foam, or maybe a 1/4" thickness when the seat is lifted. I just have started using this new foam, so I can't say the lasting abillity of it. But from the get go it feels much better than what I have taken out of other saddles.

Now I figure someone will ask what it is called. I can't say. The man who ordered for the auto fabrics shop was gone the day I was in. But the cost was. 13.45 a yard. It was a 56 inch wide so a piece 36" X 56" X 1/2" cost 13.45 plus CA state tax.

Joel

Ben,

Thanks for the link to McMasters-Carr site, I was able to find the foam you have described. I think I want to start with something firmer than the 8 that JW said he tried. As usual the discussion shifted to cloud crepe, so now I want to take a look at that as well. I will have to get some of both to try. Thanks guys for a brisk discussion, this is what I like most about this site.... Jeff

:whistle:

Hello all.

I am in need of some info regarding foam for saddle seat padding.

There aren't any foam suppliers in my local area that I know of ( SOCAL) or can find, I need one.

Does anyone have a foam supplier they could recommended? Or ideas where to look?

Maybe one by internet?

Thanks

Joel

I have been using backpackers closed cell sleeping pads for a long time. Closed cell is IMPORTANT because it doesn't absorb moisture when it rains. I have never had one come back in the 30+ yrs ive been using it. The seat in my own personal saddle (20+ yrs) is just like the day it was finished.

I wondered if anyone ever got an address and/ or a telephone number for J and J Auto Fabrics??