Dan Miller

My Great-Grandfathers Harness Horse

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a while, since becoming interested in leatherworking while making a pair of Roorkhee campaign chairs.

My great-grandfather (and his father) were harness makers in Westport, New York. I am fortunate to have inherited his harness horse, and have attached some photos to this message. I don't know much about these yet, but it appears to be a well made one, with the rear legs being turned, and the seat supported by adjustable threaded pegs and a center spindle that is off-center.

I would like to use the horse, as I am gearing up to learn hand-stitching. However, the strap connecting the foot lever to the clamp is set too loose (jaws won't close), and the leather of the strap is old and dried out. Is there a way I can rejuvinate the leather in order to use it (and maintain originality), or shall I make a replacement strap? (I am pretty sure I can remove the old one intact in order that it could be reattached in the future to maintain originality.

Thanks for any comments!
Dan

A couple more photos

post-64192-0-18687700-1447975862_thumb.j

post-64192-0-08134700-1447975864_thumb.j

post-64192-0-88397200-1447975865_thumb.j

post-64192-0-72278100-1447975867_thumb.j

post-64192-0-45066700-1447975869_thumb.j

post-64192-0-48053000-1447975919_thumb.j

post-64192-0-27324000-1447975921_thumb.j

I think I'd replace the strap ...carefully ... and put the old one aside. That is one awesome horse .. and an even more awesome heirloom, made all the better by usability!

Fantastic piece of history!

Magic, very lucky to have such a piece of family history

It looks like the original strap has more holes, just adjust it and oil it and it will probably be good to go.

I see no issue with replacing the strap either if the leather is dried and cracked. Could be your great-granddad and granddad went through a strap or two in their day with it too.

Also, take a look at the jaws and how nicely they really taper up and thin out at the tips. You will be able to set your stitch line close to the jaws for security and your hands will be able to get in close for control and do some fine work. Some modern makers of stitching horses should see this profile and take a lesson. You've got a nice one.

I agree with Bruce, nice one, and being able to use it will only make it a more important heirloom perhaps the day will come when it get's passed down another generation.

Bob

Really nice horse. Love the turned legs and braces and the compound lever arraignment for tightening. I like the wooden threaded screws for holding the saddle (might be a seat, but it is a horse) I really like the rounding of the front and back of the clamp below the jaws. It seems the jaws are kind of close to the saddle and would be tight if you had long arms.