Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

recommendation for a 3 or 4 lbs mallet

I need to get a heavier mallet for setting rivets and especially for cutting out 2" logos with a mallet die.

Is it possible to get a 3 or 4 lbs mallet with a replaceable 3" diameter head, or do all mallets have a permanent head?

ed

My engineer Husband has just bought me a dead blow hammer for use with some of the bigger 3D stamps. It is made of some rubbery plastic material and has lead shot inside the head so doesnt bounce. This one is a 16oz with a 2lb hit but they come in heavier sizes. It is perfect for stamping, punching and all manner of other leather work options - wont burr your tools, is light to use and cheap. Have a look in an Engineering supply shop.

Barry King's mauls/mallets. I think he makes them up to 6 lbs

Marlon

Thanks for the replies. I have wanted to try the dead blow hammers for some time. I've ordered three because they are quite inexpensive: 1 lb, 2lbs, and 3 lbs.

I've got a short-handled 4 lbs sledge hammer I use for caps on semi-tubular rivets, but it would be much too difficult to control when trying to strike the end of a mallet die. I've never used a well balanced heavy mallet, but I'm guessing that they are balanced, even the heavy ones, in a way so they are rather easy to control. Am I correct? Eventually, I'll have to get one, most likely a three-pounder.

ed

Due to the low price I got a few deadblow hammers. Certainly nice to have around and better than rawhide mallets for cutting and setting rivets.

But I also ordered a maul and mallet from Barry King, both 3#, and, man, do these feel good in the hand. They inspire precision, and the sound the make when knocking tools is like that of a door of a precision-engineered luxury sedan sealing shut.

Anvils, mallets, and mauls, oh my!

Ed

Good choice. Barry makes some fine hand tools. I saw him today at the Boot and Saddlemaker's show.

Marlon