Dave Theobald Introduction

Hi All,

My name is David Theobald and I live in Hamilton, Ohio.....actually Ross, Ohio but that is another story.

I am 62 years old and have been doing leather work for about a year and a half. I'm doing almost exclusively motorcycle seats for a company where my son works. I am a graduate industrial designer who made a career out of patent illustration (also another story). I'll be retiring in a few years and hope to continue doing leatherwork after my 9-5 days are done. I'm married with 3 kids....My baby is a Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper. My middle son works store security and builds motorcycles. My eldest is getting her nursing degree at the age of 31! I'm so proud of what they have all done with their lives.

I came to leatherworking as an offshoot of building knives. I made a lot of knives and needed some sheaths to keep them in. My son (the bike builder) saw the sheaths and immediately asked if I would do a seat for the bike he was building.....It took me 4 trys before I had one that I liked. My son's boss at the bike shop liked it too and asked me to do a seat for a show bike to be entered at the EasyRiders show in Cincinnati 2005. 70+ seats later, needless to say I no longer build knives....or make sheaths....I've done notebooks, holsters and other things for family as gifts. But the bike seats are actually making some money. Most of my artwork is very much like tattoo art.

I guess that is about all.

you can see my work at http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/patillserve/

I've enjoyed the site very much and Johanna does a tremendous job for us all. Thanks to her.

Dave Theobald

Edited by David

Great post, David. And you can sure count me as one of your fans.

I'm with you Bruce.  I wanted to ask you Dave, When you secure the leather to a seat with the cushion you choose, do you use spray adhesive or do you simply lace the leather onto the seat freely?

Mauricio